ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Flexible List (data) Management - ListPro and the Alternatives

<< < (3/7) > >>

Steven Avery:
Hi,

Ok, the sample mode helps.  An interesting way of working with fields globally, and checking off the ones that are being used in that grid (table). And then pulling them together with a sort toggle on top.  First time I've seen that type of global field idea in action.  

So for really unique fields in individual tables I can see that you might want to use field names like -
SNNUM - (serial #)
SNEXP  - (exp date)
etc.  
however if you have a Software company database you may be able to do a type of linking ?
SONUM -

Does InfoQube have any such relational views built in, where you are pulling from two grids ?
ie. Keyed relational lookups ?

Do you use the same field in multiple grids for inheritance?  But they really are simply two distinct fields with the same attribute.  

GRID1-NAME  
GRID2-NAME  

The idea being to have less field level definitions.
I understand that is the x-normal form idea these days :) .

Anyway I am ready to add a few tables.  

In the long run I can definitely see this as a part of a 3-tier approach if you are a data-person.

LISTPRO - Simple and Go (for PC, I use a clamshell phone and have no interest in IBerryDroidPads.
INFOQUBE - Dynamic Everything Centerpiece
(Programming Language) - the full-blown enchilada

By programming language I mean Alpha5, WinDev, Magic, NaviCat,etc. on MYSQL, etc.

Can we create any SQL databases in INFOQUBE for multi-access (access within INFOQUBE but also from external programs ?)

Anyway, the goal is that InfoQube is your central normative repository. The other two ideas are the extremes for special cases.  

Is that sort of clear ?

** Thanks for the Sample Suggestion. **

I can see that many folks would simply build up or down from the Sample for their main PIM-ish Qube. Right ? I am tempted to go that route.  And then start fresh with a specialty project that really is unrelated later on its own Qube.

Steven

Armando:
>however if you have a Software company database you may be able to do a type of linking ?
--- End quote ---

Yes. For instance, there's a a sample "Mantis" database pulling IQ Mantis bug info from the web and synchronizing with it.

I'm sure there are other use cases. Pierre would have to stop by and explain.

>Does InfoQube have any such relational views built in, where you are pulling from two grids ?
--- End quote ---

Yes. For instance you can see info from some other grid in a field, as a drop down menu
I realize there's no example in the sample. I'll have to suggest Pierre to add one.

But If you look at the "FileFullName" in the field properties dialog, go the "option" section : you'll see that this field is getting its data from another field using an SQL query.

Another section where you can place SQL queries is in the "Editor" section of the Field properties dialog.
Example: in my DB, I have a field called "Responsible". In the "Editor" section, "Pop up list" text box, I have added this :

SELECT FirstName,IDitem FROM adrsbook

What that does is get a list of first name from my address book when I click on the field/column in a grid (appears as a drop down list).

>Do you use the same field in multiple grids for inheritance?  But they really are simply two distinct fields >with the same attribute.  
>GRID1-NAME  
>GRID2-NAME  

--- End quote ---

Not sure I understand exactly what you mean. But Grids aren't really database "tables". IQ isn't truly a relational DB. In fact it's more what you could call an Associative Database, although not exactly.

IQ can certainly "mimic" relational DBs features.

You can use the same field displayed in all grids, no problem.
If you have a look at the basic help file (F1), read the first intro sections to get a grip of what IQ is all about. The basic principles are really the most important to understand. There are not many (maybe 4 or 5), but it's important to understand them fully.

>Can we create any SQL databases in INFOQUBE for multi-access (access within INFOQUBE but also from external programs ?)
--- End quote ---

IQ is already multi-user enabled by design. But I can't expand on the subject at the moment as I don't have enough time.

>I can see that many folks would simply build up or down from the Sample for their main PIM-ish Qube. Right ?
--- End quote ---

Yup, that's the easiest approach. Leave everything as it is, explore IQ, see how fields relate to each other, look at the grid sources and filters (based on SQL queries) then create new fields and new grids to your liking and slowly build your data universe.

If IQ didn't exist, I'd have to create it !  ;)

Steven Avery:
Hi,

2 things come to mind.  There should be a full web help system.  Not the internal.  Since you do not want to divert your current position to read. Not sure how strong that is.

I created a new grid.  Added some fields to the field list (Tools-Field Properties), Check "shown" (for that grid) and save.  They do not show and the check is gone when I go back into Tools-Field Properties.  This seems odd, as I approached it intuitively.

Shalom,
Steven

Armando:
Hi,

2 things come to mind.  There should be a full web help system.  Not the internal.  Since you do not want to divert your current position to read. Not sure how strong that is.

-Steven Avery (August 30, 2011, 08:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

The help file is actually a compiled CHM based on the web based help documentation.
The reason why there's also a compiled CHM is that it'S MUCH quicker.

I created a new grid.  Added some fields to the field list (Tools-Field Properties), Check "shown" (for that grid) and save.  They do not show and the check is gone when I go back into Tools-Field Properties.  This seems odd, as I approached it intuitively.

--- End quote ---

Not sure what you did as I just tried it (both with newly created grid, fields and with already existing one) and they show up in the grid.  :tellme:

But there could be a bug for sure. I just can't reproduce it... That said I'm not using the current version but a special not yet released one for testing. I'll ask Pierre if he can put this one online ASAP.

tomos:
I created a new grid.  Added some fields to the field list (Tools-Field Properties), Check "shown" (for that grid) and save.  They do not show and the check is gone when I go back into Tools-Field Properties.  This seems odd, as I approached it intuitively.
-Steven Avery (August 30, 2011, 08:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Should work - I cant reproduce it either, using a clean 'install' of the portable version "V3" (on Win7 64bit)
Saying that, I have had a problem lately with grids occasionally not displaying their fields when opened (i.e. showing just the main item field). I havent yet been able to pin down why this is, and it hasn't happened me now since last week...
[IQ thread]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version