ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

which hierarchical note program?

<< < (7/10) > >>

bardamu2000:
bardamu2000: i'm sorry to be the one to break the news to you but Keynote has ceased to be developed by its original programmer. :) ...[/url].
-lanux128 (January 09, 2008, 12:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

I knew this already, seems true that all good things come to an end eventually.

Tagging - I wish I had though of that early enough.
-tranglos (January 09, 2008, 01:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I am quite sceptical about all the Web 2.0 hype, but to me, taggs seem to be a wonderful way of classifying "everything". Currently I am looking into ACDSee, which is using it for photos and found it would be a good addition to note taking software as well. BTW, does somebody know if there is some kind of a tagging framework for computer files (Windows)? It's such a universal approach to getting stuff organized, tagging for everything could be my next killer app.

Alarms though I never felt were a good idea for KeyNote - there is an explanation why in the FAQ (last item in the 1st section)
--- End quote ---

I see your point. But if one would choose a different approach to organising notes than files, all the notes could be held in one big pool. Problem solved - though I see some new ones coming along.

Other media content - not recommended due to the way binary data is stored in RTF format. Including even a single high-res picture will bloat the knt file hugely, and there is no way to avoid it except to use a completely different data format, which was not available at that time. (If you wanted text formatting, RTF was the only viable option - and this hasn't changed much really, though there are two commerical Delphi editor components that replace richedit nicely). There's a chapter on that in the FAQ as well :)
--- End quote ---

You are perfectly right about the problems with RTF. Seems like my ideas really demand a new architecture an can not be build easily on top of KN. As a first and very rough draft, I see a database holding different types of "notes" (real ones, media stuff...), easy drag&drop and copy/paste functionality, tags and mayby categories, and an alerting mechanism (not to forget editors)... a new application! Or maybe somebody knows on already capable of all this stuff?

a_lunatic:

BTW, does somebody know if there is some kind of a tagging framework for computer files (Windows)? It's such a universal approach to getting stuff organized, tagging for everything could be my next killer app.
-bardamu2000 (January 10, 2008, 04:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is this what you are thinking of http://www.tag2find.com/home.0.html

tomos:
bardamu2000, there's a few threads recently here about tagging and organising of files (maybe if you do a search for each word) which I think have gone into great detail re problems & options

Seems like my ideas really demand a new architecture an can not be build easily on top of KN. As a first and very rough draft, I see a database holding different types of "notes" (real ones, media stuff...), easy drag&drop and copy/paste functionality, tags and mayby categories, and an alerting mechanism (not to forget editors)... a new application! Or maybe somebody knows on already capable of all this stuff?
-bardamu2000 (January 10, 2008, 04:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

sounds a bit like SQL-Notes to me -
not sure about the tagging as such cause I dont know the programme well enough but:
Long thread here SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
It's being developed at the moment in Beta so you could always make a request!

bardamu2000:
bardamu2000, there's a few threads recently here about tagging and organising of files (maybe if you do a search for each word) which I think have gone into great detail re problems & options
-tomos (January 10, 2008, 05:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

I will check, at a quick glance I only found a thread about tagging the forum. But it seems to be more concerned with banning certain words as tags.

sounds a bit like SQL-Notes to me -
not sure about the tagging as such cause I dont know the programme well enough but:
Long thread here SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
It's being developed at the moment in Beta so you could always make a request!
-tomos (January 10, 2008, 05:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the pointer, I have checked this one out. - It wasn't love at first sight, though. I did stumble across Evernote, which comes pretty close to what I have been looking for. Tags are called categories and can even be automatically assigned. Alarms are missing, sadly.

tomos:
have a look at this search list (ignoring the couple about site content)
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?action=search2;search=tagging

SQL-Notes is complex but seems to be very versatile and is being developed at a hares pace but would require :-\ learning I'll just say! But I think it has, or will soon have all you're looking for

Evernote is very nice, I'm only getting really into it lately myself

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version