ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Goodnight Irene

<< < (7/7)

app103:
That supermarket in the video reopened today. My daughter was down there but said she walked in and walked right back out. The whole place smells really bad and she didn't want to buy anything she would think about eating from there.

She says most of the other stores in that strip mall look like they are closed for renovations, Radio Shack looking really empty, as if they might not be reopening.

The dollar store seems to be OK, doesn't smell and no sign of damaged merchandise.

And a clothing store that has discounted their flood damaged merchandise at 20% off the original price, advertising it as a normal "final clearance" sale and not mentioning anything about water damage. The place is so dimly lit that you might not even notice it if you didn't really look at it and check for damage.

app103:
And in other news:

Comcast Will Charge for Hurricane Irene Service Outages, Blames God

Comcast customers who lost—or still don't have—cable, phone or Internet service in the wake of Hurricane Irene have a nasty surprise in store for them when they seek to get credit for their downtime. Comcast says they won't be crediting customers who lost service during the hurricane because it was an "Act of God".
--- End quote ---

xtabber:
Our utility services 22,194 customers in my town.

There are currently still 1134 customers without power in my town as of 5:55pm September 3rd.

-40hz (September 03, 2011, 05:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's only 5% still without power.

I talked to a friend in South Central CT yesterday who also still did not have power. She is served by CL&P, not UI, and according to the CL&P outage map,  more than 30% of households in her town still do not have power as of today (Sept. 4).

As my friend pointed out, Connecticut is the wealthiest state in the country and also has the highest utility rates.  Money might buy you love, but it seems it can't buy you decent electric service.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version