ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone else using Ramdisk in Windows 7?

<< < (3/14) > >>

Shades:
As far as I know Windows really likes to manage a swap-file (pagefile.sys), no matter the amount of RAM it has available. So if you have enough, it is not a bad idea to configure the pagefile into this RAM Disk.

For the security-conscious (read: paranoid) user this has the advantage of wiping the pagefile each time the computer is turned off.

Some of the RAM Disk software is even smart enough to use RAM that is not addressable by a 32-bit O.S. (example: the not addressable part of the 4 GByte RAM in WinXP can be used by some of the RAM Disk software).

I would say that if you have more than 4 GByte of RAM on a Win7 PC, you could consider using a RAM Disk. Below that I doubt it has any (noticeable) effect.

kyrathaba:
As far as I know Windows really likes to manage a swap-file (pagefile.sys), no matter the amount of RAM it has available. So if you have enough, it is not a bad idea to configure the pagefile into this RAM Disk.
--- End quote ---

And as a matter of fact, the original YouTube video tutorial suggested adding a Pagefile into the Ramdisk itself, which is what I did:

kyrathaba:
Disk Cleanup seems to run much faster now.

Stoic Joker:
So you are using memory, to access memory, that's already in memory ... Why?

justice:
A pagefiles is where the files go when Windows decides they're not needed in RAM or when your ram is full and things need to be swapped out. Putting them back in ram is working against the OS and surely will mean the right information won't go in RAM making your computer slower? Ah I'm too slow.

http://lifehacker.com/5426041/understanding-the-windows-pagefile-and-why-you-shouldnt-disable-it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version