ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone else using Ramdisk in Windows 7?

(1/14) > >>

kyrathaba:
I installed RAMdisk driver-level utility and configured it for 2 GB.  Re-running NovaBench, my benchmark score rose from 382 to 425.  The computer seems to handle noticeably snappier, though perhaps that is merely my expectations affecting my perceptions.  Has anyone else used RAMdisk, or something similar.  Your results?

kyrathaba:
I'm showing RAM Transfer Speed (Hardware) of 2890 Mb/sec.  Is that good for these system specs?

Pentium DualCoreE5300 2.60GHz @ 2.6 GHz
MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3
6GB System RAM
Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset

--- End quote ---

KynloStephen66515:
Sounds rather interesting, gonna download it and see how my machine takes it...it could do with a swift kick up the ass, and this might just be the answer (Seeing as I'm on a machine with 1GB of DDR2 and a 3.2Ghz single core processor and can't afford anything better lol)

Will see!

kyrathaba:
Be advised, I watched several YouTube videos on installing, and apparently it's quite critical that you disable your Page File entirely before installing Ramdisk and configuring it (disable Windows automatic handling of Page File size, and manually set it to 0).  Also, it was recommended, by consensus that you not check any of the checkboxes under the Options tab when you run the RamDisk configuration utility for the first time.

kyrathaba:
Stephen, another thing you could do is figure out which Windows services can be changed from Automatic to either Manual or Disabled.  Services can noticeably affect boot-up time and hog RAM.  Tweaking services, while requiring care (definitely set a System Restore point first), could definitely improve your experience on 1GB of RAM.  I've also read that Win7 Aero is a RAM-hog.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version