ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Comment Explorer 2.5.0.4

<< < (14/17) > >>

MilesAhead:
So each time i give a comment for a file  or folder by pressing Shift+ F11 , will i be able to view it any way.???
-hulkbuster (November 14, 2011, 10:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't understand the question.
The program is designed to me use with Explorer. Not 3rd party file managers.

There are 2 window class names used for Explorer Folder Windows.  CabinetWClass and ExploreWClass.  Only if the active window has one of the 2 class names will the hotkeys fire. That's to avoid interfering with other applications.

If you read the Readme I think this is clearly stated:

Readme for Comment Explorer 2.3.0.0

Comment Explorer is an AHK Hotkey Tray Utility
  that allows comments to be associated with files
  in Explorer. When you use the Up and Down Arrow
  keys or click the Mouse to select a file in Explorer,
  if there is a comment for the file, a ToolTip displays.

It doesn't say anything about FreeCommander,TotalCommander or whatever.

IainB:
There are 2 modes to the program, Folder and Global.  Folder uses the filename and extension with no path as the key to the comment. Global uses the entire path.  Folder creates a data file in every folder where you create a comment.  Global has one central data file in the same folder as CommentExplorer.exe.

If neither of the 2 modes reflect what you're asking then I don't see how I can do it.  In either mode it's a simple associative array.  String key fetches string comment.
-MilesAhead (November 14, 2011, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
@MilesAhead: Thanks for this. I think I understand now.
I guess what I am asking for cannot be done by Comment Explorer.
It seems that it has its own wholly proprietary database. I think I need to use the OS file/folder "Comments" field sometimes, and something proprietary to the "virtual container" field at other times.

MilesAhead:
I'm starting to think the mechanism should involve the shadow copy service. Kind of like "versions of files" only you have a db file in the shadow store with the comments indexed.  Doing it from the outside will always be a kludge. :(

MilesAhead:
The first post has been updated with new link.  Also the Readme.txt has been edited to correct the directions in quick start to use the proper hotkey, shift-F11.

Note that the Check For Update commands etc.. will not be updated since I don't see that I can add anything useful to this design.  The basic function works, to add a line comment to your downloads. At this point I am using a Laptop only.  It's fine for posting in forums, using online programs, but for programming anything more than a few lines or fixing a bug in existing code, it's just too awkward.  Even on a desktop with full sized keyboard I'm only about a 20 wpm guy anyway.

Hopefully some time soon I'll have a desk again at a permanent address so I can get another desktop PC.  I just hope it isn't running Windows 11.  :)

MilesAhead:
Link in first post updated.  New in 2.5.0.2  Comment Explorer no longer uses the clipboard to get the file selected in the Explorer Window.  This eliminates conflicts with other clipboard functions such as Copy as Path.  When a selected file or folder displays a comment, that comment is in the clipboard.  This makes it possible to do things like save a url as the comment and paste it into your browser.  Once the ToolTip with the comment disappears, the clipboard is restored to previous contents(at least for text.)

I added an exception catching routing since enumerating all the windows can trigger an exception if the user closes the folder window while the search is ongoing.  In this case the search routine just returns an empty string and the script continues without a crash dialog.

It is still a flawed approach.  Probably the right way to do it is with a database browser utility that can query partial matches on filenames and store multiple pieces of information rather than just a comment.  But at least it is something.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version