ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Cnet's Download.com and the installer scam

<< < (7/36) > >>

mouser:
A quick note: for those who are reading this and considering emailing cnet to have their software removed -- you might want to think about it for a while and consider the pracitcal ramifications before you do so out of anger.   Cnet/Download.com is a very popular download site, and if you had good reviews on the site, the reviews show high up in google results with google showing the # of stars in the review, etc.  In other words, there may be a high price to be paid for removing your software from cnet/download.com, and for a site like DC where we depend on non-paid sites to let people know about our software. I'm embarrassed to say I'm already feeling pretty upset about the high price of having our software removed and wondering if i did the right thing.  :(

nudone:
Might be too much work but how about creating a message pop-up for any programs that appear on cnet. The pop-up could then mention that the software is available elsewhere without the cnet installer - and therefore could also work as a portable application, etc., etc.

Maybe it would appear as intrusive and too annoying so would backfire as an idea.

vlastimil:
I'm embarrassed to say I'm already feeling pretty upset about the high price of having our software removed and wondering if i did the right thing.  :(
-mouser (August 24, 2011, 03:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am still on the other side of the wall (no reply to my email yet - I used the address from that "support" page), but I think removing is the right way. Certainly, if all your tools are freeware.

You are #1 for "screenshot captor" and download.com is holding #2 with the stars. My bet is, with that entry gone, more people would click directly on your link and get much better experience. Download.com was effectively stealing traffic and redirected people elsewhere.

I am in similar position on "cursor editor". Me being #1, but download.com being #4 with stars (or #2 if I use the full name). I suppose the high download count is due to this. Unfortunately for me, download.com has other cursor editors in stock and so by removing myself, I will not be eliminating the starred competition... But I still think it is worth the price.

Maybe google will revisit their strategy regarding star rating for download.com after what they have done.

mouser:
Over and over and over and over again we see this same basic model for websites to make their money:

* First, the bait: the website is free for everyone and does provides tons of free information and writing, open to all equally and everyone is treated the same.
* Often a major part of the content is generated by users contributing their own time.
* Then after a reputation is built, and high placement on search engines is achieved.. time to pull the switch and make the money! Policies are changed to make money off of companies whose products are featured on the site, by offering to favor them over their free alternatives.

lotusrootstarch:
You are #1 for "screenshot captor" and download.com is holding #2 with the stars. My bet is, with that entry gone, more people would click directly on your link and get much better experience. Download.com was effectively stealing traffic and redirected people elsewhere.
-vlastimil (August 24, 2011, 04:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah.. you'd think that people who came up with the search query in the first place would actually prefer download.com for the download. ;) The real thing is when people google more generic queries such as "screenshot tool" or "screen dump software".

I suggest showing a message during installation or startup saying that the app can be directly downloaded from the site and that any third-party crapware push is opposed by this site, rather than removing all the apps directly from Download.com.

P.S. I wonder what happens to the apps that already bundles crapware toolbars within the installers, will the end-users end up with two toolbars trying to kill each other in the same browser? LOL.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version