ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Cnet's Download.com and the installer scam

<< < (2/36) > >>

mouser:
Absolutely outrageous and unacceptable.

I predict the pushback on this is going to be so severe that it is reversed within days if not hours.

Just wrong on so many levels -- not to mention it's going to result in freeware authors reputations being harmed as users blame them for something cnet is doing.

It's just so far outside of acceptable behavior -- the outrage is going to be withering.  I give cnet 24 hours before they completely abandon this and being an apology tour.

cyberdiva:
As I mentioned in another posting today, Bill Pytlovany, the developer of WinPatrol, wrote with dismay in his blog about CNET's new practice of including a "Download Manager" with software from download.com.  He made it clear that if people download his program from his website, they will not have to deal with unwanted software.

KynloStephen66515:
Absolutely outrageous and unacceptable.

I predict the pushback on this is going to be so severe that it is reversed within days if not hours.

Just wrong on so many levels -- not to mention it's going to result in freeware authors reputations being harmed as users blame them for something cnet is doing.

It's just so far outside of acceptable behavior -- the outrage is going to be withering.  I give cnet 24 hours before they completely abandon this and being an apology tour.

-mouser (August 22, 2011, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

And I give it 48 before all those "Remove my software before we sue you" e-mails hit their desks.

What they have done, shows they have no care for anybody they serve, or the developers who are listed on there.

Like its already been said, Devs find their stuff on there when they never even submitted it, so if they don't specifically look to see if they ARE listed, how the hell would they know they are on there...thats not exactly giving permission for them to mirror (steal) your software for THEIR benefit.  Ignorance is the route of all evil, and is certainly not bliss in any sence of the word.

For me, CNET has just been removed from my bookmarks and I will never be using the service again.  The mere fact they would even THINK about this, makes me shudder.  I hate all things that have bloatware, and if DC did it (I know it won't), I would also leave here, as many many people also would.  They have just instantly lost the trust of millions upon millions of people in one stupid move, and Developers are going to be going crazy (Those who have bloatware ALREADY in their software are going to be even more pisses as they will lose out on revenue!)

skwire:
Wow! Did not know they were going around grabing things at random. Good to know, thanks.-Stoic Joker (August 22, 2011, 04:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're welcome.  It's rather startling how many different software repository site my applications are listed on.  To reiterate, I have NEVER submitted my applications to any site other than my own personal site.  Yes, I do make PAD files for each application and, no, I'm not naïve enough to think that they wouldn't get picked up and spread around.  That being said, what really gets my goat is that CNET is probably receiving remuneration (however small  :P) from my work.  Furthermore, I absolutely cringe at the thought of users of my software thinking I've sold out -- including toolbars and all manner of crap like that.  Ugh.   :mad:   I pride myself on providing free software which, to me, includes being free of extra crap like this garbage.

TheManRetired:
This stupid program knocks of my wireless router all the time also, it does not matter if you are a member or not as after you use their tracker to find the updates all you can download is the stupid 444kb wrapper and it then supposedly downloads the program you wanted maybe but I have never gotten it to work and click their help and support does no good as two weeks now I have been waiting for an answer and gotten nothing from them. I suggest using filehippo instead.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version