ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Cnet's Download.com and the installer scam

<< < (27/36) > >>

LibertyToad:
I'm configuring a new laptop and just ran into this CNet nonsense.  I won't download from them anymore.  Who wants an extra download step to get in the way?  Bad move.

jojo99:
I installed the new version of KM Player the other day.  Even though I am 100% sure that I unchecked the request to install the ASK toolbar, the toolbar got installed anyway!  Luckily, it could be removed by the add/remove applet.  You can't trust anyone these days....

search53:
NINJA EDIT: According to the FAQ linked above, registered users still can get the original installer. The rest can go... grab the installer from the developer site themselves.
via Slashdot
-Lashiec (August 22, 2011, 02:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

If at all possible I NEVER download a program from anywhere other than the developer's web site. What I find disturbing is the fact that all too often the developer's Download link points right back to CNet.

So... that's when I verify that I'm signed in to Cnet so I can get their "Direct Download link."

What I found annoying involved the above example. You can't even install VLC without an internet link. This requirement is understandable in an installer for a program like a browser - where you can't begin to use the program without an internet connection. In a media player, this is unacceptable. The reason I WANTED a media player was so that I'd have something to do when my laptop isn't within range of a hotspot. Unfortunately I had to find one in order to install it.

rokarge:
It bothered me so much until I refused to download from them after two experiences.  I simply googled the program and found it somewhere else and downloaded it from there.  Whatever possessed them to do such a dumb thing??

db90h:
Just so you guys know, vendors who opt-out (as I did) no longer have their software mirrored at CNET. Instead, it redirects back to your server, at least as best I can tell.

They also recently sent out a survey to all vendors, asking their opinions on this toolbar bundle. The one thing that was clear was that they have no plans to remove it completely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version