ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

Feature request: Web clipping, permanent note keeping

<< < (4/8) > >>

IainB:
@mouser:
Suggested feature request for "direct/indirect pasting"
(This is from the discussion Re: Any better Clipboard program.)
... I am not sure my opinion on software can help any one... My first concern is if the program is easy to use, and stable. Yes, I have tried many and I have disabled them all - except one of course: "CFi ShellToys Clipboard+". I like this one the best.
1) http://www.shelltoysxp.com/default.asp
2) http://www.shelltoysxp.com/clipboardplus.asp
-Curt (August 26, 2011, 06:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
On the webpage at the link (2) above, it says:
Text clips can be sent directly into a word processor, bypassing the clipboard.
--- End quote ---
This is a good example of the kind of thing that I think has been referred to above. I'm not sure whether this would be easy to build in to CHS, but it's probably the sort of potentially very significant timesaver that I and other users would appreciate having - e.g., to paste clips directly into (say) a specified PIM, or into a specified documentation or note-taking tool. It looks like it could be a much better version of Info Select's proprietary and failed "lightning-bolt" clipping tool that I have referred to previously in this discussion thread.
It would be really handy - using CHS as the medium for directly or indirectly gathering lots of separate clipped notes into a single document - ie., you could do it directly from CHS whilst staying on the CHS grid view to do it, or indirectly via CHS from the source page/document. In either case you would be avoiding some of the tiresome/tedious clip/paste to-ing and fro-ing that you might otherwise be obliged to engage in to achieve the same thing without this feature.

rjbull:
@IainB:
I don't think we're disagreeing, but I'm alarmed by your sheer intensity!  :o  I only half-understand your concepts, which leads me to be concerned that, should you have your way, CHS might become too hard for ordinary folk to use.  cf. Ultra Recall, where I have a license for an old version, but never really got into it because it looks too complex.

Further, I have to keep reminding myself that CHS is only one of mouser's projects that he doesn't get paid much for...

rjbull:
It should be possible to store everything within the database, even if only a copy, to make the database portable and easier to back up.
-rjbull (August 25, 2011, 08:29 AM)
--- End quote ---
Whenever I read that such-and-such "should" be the case, it usually means that what I have read is an arbitrary, unsubstantiated opinion (unless there is some special law or rule that supports it). The case would seem to be no different here.
I would recommend that we leave the design of the database to the engineers who are building the thing - or, as my mother used to say to me, "Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs." The engineers are usually far from stupid, and are likely to be able to fully appreciate the need for portability and backup and a few other things, some of which we might not even have thought about, as well.-IainB (August 26, 2011, 11:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
"Should" is here used more technically than morally.  The programmers aren't necessarily the users, and don't necessarily have the same priorities.  I would like to be able to store all data in the one file, for ease of back-up, and portability.  I realise this may not be ideal in some ways.  I suppose the best system would be the ability to set a default storage method that could be overridden on a note-by-note basis.

mouser:
This is a good example of the kind of thing that I think has been referred to above. I'm not sure whether this would be easy to build in to CHS, but it's probably the sort of potentially very significant timesaver that I and other users would appreciate having - e.g., to paste clips directly into (say) a specified PIM, or into a specified documentation or note-taking tool. It looks like it could be a much better version of Info Select's proprietary and failed "lightning-bolt" clipping tool that I have referred to previously in this discussion thread.
It would be really handy - using CHS as the medium for directly or indirectly gathering lots of separate clipped notes into a single document - ie., you could do it directly from CHS whilst staying on the CHS grid view to do it, or indirectly via CHS from the source page/document. In either case you would be avoiding some of the tiresome/tedious clip/paste to-ing and fro-ing that you might otherwise be obliged to engage in to achieve the same thing without this feature.
--- End quote ---

I think CHS can do what you are asking already.  You have two ways:

First you can set what happens when you double click on a grid item, and tell CHS to send the clip to the last active window when you double click.  That makes it possible to really quickly send a bunch of clips to an application.  So just start your target app, bring up the main CHS window, and start double clicking.

Second, you can use the "send to last active window" button in the memo panel (or choose from the Edit menu):

I should probably add a hotkey too huh?

You can also select a bunch of clips and "merge" them from CHS, with user defined separator, and then paste as one operation.

IainB:
I don't think we're disagreeing, but I'm alarmed by your sheer intensity!  :o  I only half-understand your concepts, which leads me to be concerned that, should you have your way, CHS might become too hard for ordinary folk to use.  cf. Ultra Recall, where I have a license for an old version, but never really got into it because it looks too complex.
-rjbull (August 28, 2011, 10:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
@rjbull:
Sorry if the "intensity" shows. It's probably really my impatience showing. I have been trained to take a rigorous view towards optimising the ergonomics of computer systems, especially where the improved efficiency and effectiveness of data management could be effected.
CHS is almost all the way there already. The depressing truth of the majority of PIMs/Wikis/Note-takers/Stickies that I have come across is that they are nowhere near achieving a similar state. They may be good on form (e.g., they look nice), but fall far short on useful data management function.
I do feel that the UI should simplify things - e.g., like the use of Boolean searches/filters - as long as the facility for people like me to construct SQL statements is retained in the VFs.

By the way:

* Where you say "your concepts". None of the concepts I have used are "mine". I gather that they are pretty much bog standard concepts related to RDBMS, and would appear to have been enabled in CHS by @mouser, via the implementation of VF and SQL. Maybe even @mouser does not realise what he has achieved (?) - else why does he have 23 columns on the drop-down menu, where several of them seem to be meta-data fields (e.g., Keywords, Type) and which would be redundant if he substituted "smart" VFs for them.
* A record will go into a VF:
      (a) If it gets filtered in there (e.g., with a Boolean search)
      (b) If you force it in there (e.g., by dragging/dropping a record into the VF icon.
Look at this:
I have set up a child group in the CHS "tree" called "Auto-Tags".
Under Auto-Tags I have set up several sub-folders (child groups), all with VF selected, and each with a different SQL (Boolean search filter) statement.
One of these is called "TEST01", and, because I am a fan of the late W. Edwards Deming, I have given it an SQL filter simply: (Lower(ClipText) LIKE '%deming%').
That filter captured 7 records, 3 of which happen to be flagged as "Favourites", and they are displayed in a blue text colour.
I then dragged and dropped a separate record - one which does not match that filter - into the VF folder TEST01. That record is displayed in a black text colour, and became an 8th record in TEST01. This forced record is "sticky" - i.e., it will remain in the VF even if I change the filter to exclude all the records currently in the VF.
If I click on the parent folder, "Auto-Tags", it displays only the single forced record - i.e., the one with black text that was dragged and dropped into the "TEST01" folder. I think that, for flexibility, there may be a requirement here to be able to select whether a parent of VFs will display:

* All inherited records (i.e., whether forced or filtered).
* Just the filtered inherited records.
* Just the forced inherited records.[/list]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version