ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

HP announces it's discontinuing all WebOS device development

<< < (3/5) > >>

Carol Haynes:
You're lucky then - I have spent many hours uninstalling printer software, downloading new versions (often in excess of 300Mb) and reinstalling and on a number of occasions I have been forced to reinstall Windows because of HP software.

The printers themselves print pretty well but I haven't seen a consumer model that isn't slow and noisy.

I used to use HP printers but gave up in frustration and moved to Canon - fast, quiet and the software is lightweight and easy to use.

urlwolf:
Maybe this is why:
HP Stock Price Falls 23% to 6-Year Low

Or is this a reaction of the market to them killing the one innovative product they had?
I went to a meego event (intel is the only backer, with nokia dumping it). Meego is prealfa, and quite honestly, it sucks. But it'd be great to have a competitor to iOS and android. In the right hands, it could be great. It's a real linux, running on atom. This is sad news, we are heading for a mono/duopoly on this tech... and this is not good for consumers.

40hz:
Here's what HP has to say about it's decision regarding its Personal Systems Group.

Looks like the current plan is to spin it off as a new company - but with the caveat they may not ultimately complete this plan.

HP, like most companies these days, has become enamoured of the opportunities to be found in "cloud" products and services.

Apparently the corporate world felt they missed the boat by not jumping all over the Internet and web technologies when they first appeared. Because now, they all seem hell bent on not letting the cloud slip away from them like the web did.

A

urlwolf:
Looks like webOS will survive, and will ship on better hardware:
"Currently, the party line internally to the company is 100% licensing to another hardware manufacturer. There are no talks of selling whatsoever. This is something that most of the employees working with webOS would welcome as the current hardware was not showing off webOS well at all. There have been some indications that this is the case, although HP CEO Leo Apotheker is keeping mum on the future of webOS, at least publicly."
http://thenextweb.com/insider/2011/08/19/an-inside-look-at-hp-killing-webos-hardware-here’s-how-it-really-went-down/

Stoic Joker:
Hooo-ly Shit! Did not ses that coming at all. Hell, the sales manager just got back from an HP sponsored tech show that was specifically for the WebOS TouchPad!! (We're an HP ASP)

We've got a few thousand (business class) HP printers in the field and they've always been quite reliable.  While as Carol mentioned their drivers can be a PITA if you strip off the software bundle they tend to work quite well.

I've never been a fan of their computers as they are mostly home user multi-media nightmares. But Kill the WebOS TouchPad! That's freaking Nutz!! We just got two to demo and they're not even out of their boxes yet.

Damnit! ...I was thinking about checking out the dev options.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version