ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

SageThumbs - Thumbnails all over the Windows

<< < (4/4)

CWuestefeld:
Never heard of .DNG files.
-Tuxman (August 16, 2011, 12:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's a kind of RAW file. It used to be that every different camera (that can save RAW files) used its own, individual format. This is getting to be a problem for makers of image processing software. So Adobe stepped up and defined a standard RAW format, DNG (Digital NeGative), that is usable by all.

My Pentax camera gives a choice of DNG or camera-specific PEF filed. It seems to me that my chances of being able to read the files, say, 20 years from now is much better if I use a format backed by Adobe than a Pentax one that's (somewhat) specific to my camera model.

Tuxman:
Ah, I see. Standards, who needs them?

CWuestefeld:
Ah, I see. Standards, who needs them?
-Tuxman (August 16, 2011, 12:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

:huh: DNG *is* a standard, defined by Adobe. It's the camera manufacturers who have been causing the proliferation of formats. Adobe is helping to solve it by creating a standard that's licensed to be usable by all.

I imagine that you're actually objecting that it's not an "open" standard, to which I reply that there are countless other examples of successful proprietary standards, like PDF and RTF.

Tuxman:
It was kind of sarcastic, related to our "every camera has its own format" thingy. Anyway: Yep, open standards are the best standards. The problem with Adobe or Google or whoseever standards is that they might involve incompatibility with other software than the own. It took a while to have PDF available in third-party software, for example.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version