ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Windows management script

<< < (3/7) > >>

tomos:
I understand very little of what is going on here.
On my desktop Vista "Alt+F4" will close active window/program at once. Did I get this feature from strangers?-Curt (August 17, 2011, 11:18 AM)
--- End quote ---
:)
I've always considered Alt+F4 a fairly tortuous shortcut to use. You dont have to be quite so acrobatic to use it with your right hand, but then it's on the wrong side of the keyboard.
Ctrl+Q is used in many graphics programmes (I think maybe it was 'ported' from earlier mac versions - where I think it is the default shortcut).

Right-clicking a titlebar will pop up an important menu. Why would you want to disable such a feature?
-Curt (August 17, 2011, 11:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've actually never in my life used that menu except to close a window, so at some stage I picked up the right-click to close idea.

It's possibly because I have to use a mouse all day (with work) that I really try to avoid the extra journey into the corner, or even using the mouse at all - but I suspect it's probably got more to do with my impatience in general...

Stoic Joker:
I've never had a problem with Alt+F4, but then again I am left handed...

Double clicking the left corner of the titlebar will also close a window by default. But I'm curious as to why right clicking the titlebar would be easier than using the red X in the right corner. Do you have a lot of large multi monitor windows?

skwire:
Regarding Alt-F4, I've always used two hands.  Right-hand thumb on the Alt key and left-hand index finger to press the F4 key.

But I'm curious as to why right clicking the titlebar would be easier than using the red X in the right corner.
-Stoic Joker (August 17, 2011, 03:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Fitt's Law.  There's a lot more titlebar caption space to click in comparison to the close button.

tomos:
Double clicking the left corner of the titlebar will also close a window by default. But I'm curious as to why right clicking the titlebar would be easier than using the red X in the right corner. Do you have a lot of large multi monitor windows?
-Stoic Joker (August 17, 2011, 03:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think I started using the right-click with an AHK script years ago (Nifty Windows? it was buggy so I transferred it to PowerPro). And it does save time and effort, even with single monitor & full screen app [& Fitt's Law of course :)]. I avoid doubleclicks like the plague - when I'm drawing, I can get through a few thousand mouse-clicks a day. I would prefer almost anything to a double click ;)

tomos:
The shutdown hotkey didnt work.
[edit] user error. If it works I'll report back tomorrow!! [/edit]

older version...Not a biggee, but if this were possible:

Re shutdown (remember, not tested yet), is there a way of raising the Alt+F4 windows shutdown dialogue?
That way I would get to choose exactly what I want, but more importantly I would have to confirm, so I would be covered in case of mistaken use of shortcut.
-tomos (August 17, 2011, 03:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Edit/ and I had to disable Hibernate earlier, not working properly, ah well...

Edit #2/ weird side-effect - if I right-click on the script, the shutdown dialogue shows as long as I keep right button pressed :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version