ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Next step up from Autohotkey

<< < (2/5) > >>

justice:
Thanks for all the comments so far. Will look at all suggestions, was interested to try out AutoIt to see how it compares, and also python as it will be useful for both desktop clients and web.  :up:

The thing I don't understand about .NET is though (and I had the same trying to wrap my head around asp.net) How does anyone remember all the .net imports,  when to use them, and what libraries are required when you want to achieve certain functionality. Say you want to do x (run a command line program and capture its output or whatever trivial thing), how do you go about finding the required imports etc.. There's too many of them. :-\

40hz:
I don't know if this is a step up, but a friend I occasionally work with spoke kindly about this development tool.

It's called Illumination. Its a visual cross-platform development environment that supports: Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Flex/Flash, and Maemo. (It was designed by Bryan Lunduke who's one of the hosts of the Linux Action Show in case anybody's interested,)

My buddy used it for quick prototyping a combo iOS/Android project he worked on. He says the "Tinker Toy" snap-together methodology won't appeal to some of  the "real programmers" out there. But within the scope of what Illumination is designed to do, he says it gets the job done handily.

Being a former professional programmer and senior project manager for two of the big software publishers (and an absolute C/C++/Mono wizard) I tend to trust his opinions when it comes to software development.

Might be worth a look. 8)

MilesAhead:

The thing I don't understand about .NET is though (and I had the same trying to wrap my head around asp.net) How does anyone remember all the .net imports,� when to use them, and what libraries are required when you want to achieve certain functionality. Say you want to do x (run a command line program and capture its output or whatever trivial thing), how do you go about finding the required imports etc.. There's too many of them. :-\
-justice (August 12, 2011, 04:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

It is massive. You just have to get skilled with the help search.  The example code has the Using statements to put at the top of the module. That's equivalent to #include in other languages. If you search how to do a particular thing in C# or whatever with a general search engine you can nearly always find a small example.

The nice thing about AHK, AutoIt3, and Python for Windows for that matter, is you can wrap the interpreter into the exe so that the user doesn't need it installed.  As far as they are concerned it's just a program exe file.  I think there are some people out there still averse to .NET.  Or at least don't like to add more versions than what are already loading with the OS.  Some people see .NET they will just bypass your utility.

rjbull:
You might enjoy working with Creative BASIC-mrainey (August 11, 2011, 08:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

@mrainey: do you have any comments on Creative BASIC versus FreeBASIC (free, Windows, Linux & DOS) and PureBasic (79 euros, but that covers all future updates and Amiga, Linux Windows and MacOS X)?

mrainey:
@mrainey: do you have any comments on Creative BASIC versus FreeBASIC (free, Windows, Linux & DOS) and PureBasic (79 euros, but that covers all future updates and Amiga, Linux Windows and MacOS X)?
--- End quote ---

I haven't worked with either of those.  Creative is easy to learn and surprisingly powerful, but it's Windows-only.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version