ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Next step up from Autohotkey

<< < (3/5) > >>

MilesAhead:
Although it may seem counter-intuitive, picking up some assembler doesn't hurt.  Then you see what programming languages have in common under the covers.  Also helps when debugging compiled apps.

rjbull:

--- Quote from: MilesAhead on August 14, 2011, 06:58:32 PM ---picking up some assembler doesn't hurt.
--- End quote ---
As I understand it, PureBasic converts source code into assembler, which is then compiled by NASM.  I think that's part of the reason Horst Schaeffer uses it, as he has long experience as an assembler programmer.

This isn't a new idea.  Rowan Crowe's MoonRock compiler did the same for DOS, using a free version of Arrow Assembler.

rjbull:

--- Quote from: mrainey on August 14, 2011, 05:36:25 PM ---Creative is easy to learn and surprisingly powerful
--- End quote ---
I think the low $10 price puzzles me.  Rhetorical question - why isn't it either free, or a higher price?

MilesAhead:

--- Quote from: rjbull on August 15, 2011, 02:43:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: MilesAhead on August 14, 2011, 06:58:32 PM ---picking up some assembler doesn't hurt.
--- End quote ---
As I understand it, PureBasic converts source code into assembler, which is then compiled by NASM.  I think that's part of the reason Horst Schaeffer uses it, as he has long experience as an assembler programmer.

This isn't a new idea.  Rowan Crowe's MoonRock compiler did the same for DOS, using a free version of Arrow Assembler.

--- End quote ---

FreeBASIC was using gas assembler.  But I think now it's emitting C. I'm not positive though. If it isn't yet I believe it's on the ToDo list. In either case it does produce stand-alone exe for Win32.

My first programming language was GWBasic on Dos.  As was the rage at that time PC Magazine had a TSR written in assembler in just about every issue. I learned asm for 80x86 and later Vax.  It made it a bit easier when I took on other languages like C and C++ that I had an idea what went on under the covers. I bought one of the Borland packages that had Turbo Assembler along with the high level language.  Turn the Dos programming manual to Int 21H and you were right 90% of the time! :)

rjbull:

--- Quote from: MilesAhead on August 15, 2011, 06:20:28 PM ---Dos programming manual to Int 21H
--- End quote ---
I'm no programmer, and even I've heard of that!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version