ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ... opinions/reviews of IDEs & Editors for Web code

<< < (3/4) > >>

barney:
OK, that's not fair  >:(.  Cream is a no-no, but I'm Vim-illiterate  and you want me to create what I assume is a Vim macro?  Have you ever read Great Expectations  :P?

mahesh2k:
PhpDesigner - works fine with PHP and other web dev tasks.

nudone:
I use a combination of Dreamweaver and Notepad++ too, and avoid using the common IDEs because of the common complaints.

One suggestions I saw elsewhere was to try one of the JetBrains solutions: http://www.jetbrains.com/index.html

Either WebStorm or PhpStorm. They were recommended as faster alternatives to the more popular IDEs. None of the JetBrains stuff is free but they do seem quite nice.

I know it will take me a while to move away from what I'm used to (Dreamweaver and Notepad++), so I really can't say if something like WebStorm is the answer.

Tuxman:
OK, that's not fair  >:(.  Cream is a no-no, but I'm Vim-illiterate  and you want me to create what I assume is a Vim macro?
-barney (August 09, 2011, 12:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
No, it is not a macro. Also there is a lot of help available.
:help <option>

So: Learning by doing!
https://github.com/dertuxmalwieder/My-Vim-configuration/blob/496d608d2285a496b216d32fc9047b7d9dee6941/.vimrc

:D

40hz:
I know several people that like the HTML-Kit. It's been around for years. There's two versions available: the older (and free) HTML-Kit 292; and the newer HTML-Kit Tools. The differences between the two can be read about here.

This is one of those "everything plus the kitchen sink" packages so expect a learning curve before you can fully avail yourself of all the features. Friends of mine who have taken the time say it's a fantastic environment to work in.

I personally use Notepad++ for most of my web work.

However, I'm not a designer, and most of what I do are readable web pages without a lot of bling. I have a few very basic page templates stored in my head. So most of what I do gets done using those.

I'm also quite organized so I don't really need any 'link tree' feature to keep track of what pages relate to what other pages. The way I name my pages takes care of that. Same goes for images. I've have a standardized naming convention and directory tree structure for those files too. So I don't need much in the way asset management features.

While this dumbass approach works for me, it probably wouldn't be usable if you were doing a complex or large website. (I'd be more inclined to go with a CMS if I were in that boat anyway.) It also completely ignores SEO considerations. So if you're planning a commerce site, or looking for a lot of page hits, you wouldn't want to follow in my footsteps.

One product I want to try out is Xara's Web Designer 7. It's one of those visual template driven page creators. I wouldn't want to use it for everything. But there are some projects I've worked on where I could see it being very useful. (At least if it works half as well as Xara claims it does. :mrgreen:)

Check out the videos under the above link to get an idea of what it can do.

I downloaded the trial over a month ago, but I haven't gotten around to checking it out yet. Work before play, unfortunately. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version