ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

IDEA: Mute sound from all windows/applications except Whitelisted

(1/3) > >>

magician62:
My first guess is this may not even be possible

Scenario:- Quite often I will be multitasking. On one monitor I may be watching a movie, or listening to music, whilst on another I might be surfing this forum, the web, or trying out a new application. Some website still insit on playing sound when you open them, which interupts what I want to listen too, the same with some older applications.

What I would like to be able to do is Whitelist applications or websites where I would like to here sound, and all the rest not hear a peep. Obviously this facility would be easily toggleable on/off.

Put simply I want to only hear what I want, not what others think I should hear.

One issue i can see is that the window/app i want to hear sound from, will likely be the one without focus.

skwire:
As far as I know, app-specific volume control is built into Vista and above.  In regards to XP, there is a $20 app called Indie Volume. From what I recall about it, though, it doesn't work all that well for some folks.  YMMV, as they say.

MilesAhead:
Not exactly what you want but I've found it very useful for browsing.  I run Chromium snapshot on Windows.  You can download from here:
http://build.chromium.org/f/chromium/snapshots/Win/

I recommend the Win32 zip rather than installer.  It's easier to back it off if you get one with bugs(which are usually minor such as losing favicions on bookmarks.)

Click the Wrench then Options, Under the hood, next to Privacy click Content Settings.  For Plugins click Block All.  Now you don't get Sudden Loud Noise(tm) when you land on a page.  If I want to play a music sample such as on AllMusic.com, I right click the track and click "run this plugin."  Not perfect but better than sudden noise. Also the setting has a white list but I haven't tried it.

For other apps you may find something on Softpedia.com  They have tons of freeware.  Also try

http://alternativeto.net/

http://www.quixey.com/

magician62:
Many thanks for the reply, Indie looks quite interesting, and is Win 7 compatable. Though your comment about app-specific volume control in Vista was interesting. I was not aware of the feature, moved from XP to 7, so have been playing, and it looks like it may serve my needs. I will also give Indie Volume a try after I get an better understanding of how the built in facility works, as it may provide extra functionality.

MilesAhead:
Vista/W7 has individual volume level and mute for each audio source, but only after it exists.  So web pages that blare sound still zap you before you can mute them. When going to pages I knew did this I used to mute all speakers until that browser showed up, then mute it only.  pita way of doing it though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version