ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Want to be in Amazon's App Store? Think again!

<< < (4/4)

Renegade:
In a perfect world my friend, in a perfect world...
-Stoic Joker (August 07, 2011, 08:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

And in my world too. (Which is very far from perfect I assure you.  ;D)

You can always say "no." You just have to be willing to deal with the consequences.

But a certain willingness to deal with the consequences of a decision has always been an acid test to determine just how important something really is to a given individual.

And that remains the case whether the answer is 'no' - or 'yes' - for that matter. 8)
-40hz (August 07, 2011, 12:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

There's a fundamental problem at work.

If I offer you 100 units of awesomeness, but also deliver 1 unit of shitiness, then it's still an attractive proposition for you. The conclusion? You take it because you're up 99 units.

However, units of shitiness are cumulative and applied to everyone.

That's how things really work. We get suckered in by accepting a tiny, little, insignificant inconvenience. But when everyone does that, we all pay for it later on.

It's a fantastic idea actually. Evil or not, it's wicked cool if you think about it.

TheQwerty:
Part of the problem is many developers seem to think the answer to making profitable apps is still in selling the app itself.

I think there's more money in ads and in-app purchases and if they used either of those then Amazon giving away their app for free would have been a fantastic opportunity for them.

Mobile apps are the razors and printers of the software world.

rxantos:
I can understand that a giving your application for free will not give you any money (I would be surprise if it do). The only value you might get it is to promote your software.

However, I do not understand the reason of showing the 54k on the statement, unless is a plan to commit fraud on promotions. Something in the lines of, "the average developer makes X amount of money." Of course, it could just simply be a bug on their online software.

That said, a better promotion for a developer (whose source of income is the app) would be to make 2 versions of the applications. One free (either limited or with ads) and one for pay. People like free stuff, but dislike ads and limitations.

Another way would be to make a free app that would only work with an online service that have a subscription model. There you could either give the first month for free or offer a limited service for free. (So that people can try your service.)

The most stupid way to promote your app (when the app is the product and not a cookie to attract to your real product), is to give it away for free forever.
Some side effects on this:
- People that bought your application before will feel cheated. And might wait before buying another application from you (to see if you will also place it for free).
- Potential buyers that got your application on the free day will have no reason to buy your application. In this case you sales will lower instead of rise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version