ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Steam: Savior or Slayer of PC Gaming?

<< < (12/12)

4wd:
It infuriates me every time. It should not happen - I should be able to start "old" steam offline and install the update the next time I am online - at least to play a game.-iphigenie (December 07, 2011, 08:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I agree with you on this one, it really is just bad programming on the part of Steam/Valve.

Besides setting every game to not auto-update, (to lessen any chance of Steam not being able to go into Offline mode when there's no connection), have you tried what this post suggests ?

Edit: I can confirm that creating/editing steam.cfg (in the same directory as the steam executable) with the following lines works:

BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable
ForceOfflineMode=enable

--- End quote ---

Here it appeared to force Steam to open the 'Could not connect...Start in Offline mode' dialog.

When the two lines aren't there, Steam connects straight through to the servers.

iphigenie:
4wd, you're a star, I'll check these configs - thanks for finding them for me. I must admit that because this happens when I am offline I haven't done much research at workarounds :)

4wd:
4wd, you're a star, I'll check these configs - thanks for finding them for me. I must admit that because this happens when I am offline I haven't done much research at workarounds :)-iphigenie (December 23, 2011, 03:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure whether it will help you get around the Steam client wanting to update before doing anything but it can't hurt to try.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version