ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

File system monitoring utilities?

<< < (3/4) > >>

rjbull:
superboyac,

Did you get an acceptable solution for this?

Watch 4 Folder looks like it will do your monitoring, but I'm not sure it will make a new log file each day.  If I read the doc right, it puts everything into a single log.

superboyac:
superboyac,

Did you get an acceptable solution for this?

Watch 4 Folder looks like it will do your monitoring, but I'm not sure it will make a new log file each day.  If I read the doc right, it puts everything into a single log.
-rjbull (August 12, 2011, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
i haven't tried it yet.  It looks like the best one that I've seen so far, though.  I like the way it's setup.  The log file issue isn't that critical; if the rest of it works as nicely as it seems to be, then it might be the one.  I can setup other utilities to automatically save the log file every day or whatever.  And furthermore, I can set up a file indexer to make the log file searchable in an easy way also.  So if it can monitor effectively, the other stuff doesn't necessarily have to be integrated in the program itself.  In this case, something like Archivarius and SFFS can take care of the additional functions.

dspelley:
I saw a link to this French language blog (Libellules) last night while perusing some old DonationCoder posts from 2005 (my Chromium browser seems to do a good job of translating it).  The blog seems to be very active and had this program Disk Pulse featured a couple of weeks ago.

There's a free version, but you may need to get the $25 Pro version to do everything you want.  I have not used it.

superboyac:
I saw a link to this French language blog (Libellules) last night while perusing some old DonationCoder posts from 2005 (my Chromium browser seems to do a good job of translating it).  The blog seems to be very active and had this program Disk Pulse featured a couple of weeks ago.

There's a free version, but you may need to get the $25 Pro version to do everything you want.  I have not used it.
-dspelley (August 16, 2011, 08:18 AM)
--- End quote ---
Very nice find!  That's the winner right there.  I don't think we need to look any further.

Steven Avery:
Hi,

Thanks. Good stuff to look at. I remember when we discussed why it was so hard for security software to pin culprits. And how I scanned the file dates to see what happened the day-time a .dll was put in that was causing an alarm.  (Turned out to be a proper .dll from an install of a good program that alarmed the virus program because of an obscure hook.)

Here is the XP equivalent to Stoics link
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310399

Don't see a Windows 7 equivalent on a quick check.

Without having checked, I wonder if any of the products above are using this Windows auditing feature, and then formatting, etc.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version