ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software Hall of Fame

(1/14) > >>

rpruyn:
Ever so often, I see the usual suspects of lists like 'best products in IT-history' or the 'Biggest tech flops' pass by, but I almost never see those rankings for software, unless it is a summary of the best 'freebies of 20..'. It's like everyone uses programs, and then erases from their collective memories when the next OS/major software update comes along.
So I was wondering: do you guys have any programs any mind that deserve Hall of Fame-status? The ones you used on older operating systems, the ones that were ahead of their time, or the ones that radically changed the way you use your computer? Especially in the early nineties, as that period precedes my own fond memories...
I'm real curious. Hope this is the right place to ask  ;)

mrainey:
Excel has been so useful to me, over and over through the years.

Shades:
RagTimeSolo:
Way too advanced for the days it came out (around 2000). Practically the complete MS-Office experience in one program (including DTP!), where you could use all functionality (text, database, spreadsheet) in one and the same document.

It made a big impression on me at the time.

oblivion:
Stuff that revolutionised my life: in the late 80's, WordStar IV. (WS3 was still a bit too CP/M.)

In the 90s, DESQview/386 (ie the version that included QEMM). dBase IV in one window, WordStar 6 in another, and SuperCalc V in a third and you can take Windows 3.1 and shove it where the sun don't shine.  ;) Learn-and-replay keyboard macros. Multitasking on a PC before anyone else could get close. I can't bring myself to throw it away, either, although I know that box will never be opened again...

And how could I forget SpinRite, by the Heavenly Steve Gibson?

In the 00s, Directory Opus. (I know, but I spend a LOT of time playing in filesystems.)

In the 10s... probably too soon to say. My favourite things are mostly browser-based -- like Lastpass, and Speed Dial. I'm falling in love with Sagelight, although my first loves for Things Graphical are all made by Serif.

AutoHotKey's starting to look like a keeper, too.

Also... the agenda, database and contacts applications built into my old and much missed Psion 5mx were (a) superb and (b) still unmatched, anywhere. (I keep thinking about paying for the Pro version of Essential PIM just to give me an excuse to complain at the developers until they've replicated the Psion experience.)

I feel old...  :-[  :o

mwb1100:
A few that I'd nominate for consideration:

- Turbo Pascal: revolutionized programming (for both hobbyists and pros).  Affordable, fast, and one of the first (if not actually the first) IDE's.
  - Windows 3.0 Enhanced mode: Real multi-tasking of your MS-DOS programs, mixed in with the new-fangled GUI stuff
  - Mosaic Internet browser: made the internet/web accessible to the hoi polloi.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version