ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Collaborative excel

<< < (2/2)

imtrobin:
I'm looking for something more like Google Docs idea, but I like to host it myself, rather than on google servers.

Unfortunately, I don't use sharepoint, and have no plans to set that up.  I can only find hosted solutions, not offline ones.

Stoic Joker:
Microsoft has a good introductory article that gives you what options are available for various levels of "collaborative" use of an Excel workbook. Link here. This is where I point my clients initially when the question comes up. Most are interested in the section that's headed: Allowing multiple users to edit a workbook simultaneously. Scroll down about midway to find it.-40hz (August 02, 2011, 02:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Cool ... Just sent that link to a client, Thanks!

40hz:
@imtrobin - take a look at Alfresco for a Sharepoint alternative you can host yourself.

I don't know how well it may meet your specific needs. And I don't have much experience with Alfresco beyond setting up a small test environment and playing with it for a few weeks a while ago. But I do recall being very impressed with how well it stacked up against Sharepoint in a feature by feature comparison. It's pretty much the acknowledged "worthy competitor" to Microsoft's collaboration offerings.

Alfresco is a FOSS product so there's a free unsupported community edition you can download if you want to give it a try. Just commandeer a spare PC, or set up a virtual machine, load up your software and have at it. Only some hands-on experience will allow you to accurately determine if Alfresco might work for you.

Fortunately, it will only cost you your time to check it out.  8)

Luck! :Thmbsup:

imtrobin:
Looks interesting, thanks!

40hz:
Microsoft has a good introductory article that gives you what options are available for various levels of "collaborative" use of an Excel workbook. Link here. This is where I point my clients initially when the question comes up. Most are interested in the section that's headed: Allowing multiple users to edit a workbook simultaneously. Scroll down about midway to find it.-40hz (August 02, 2011, 02:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Cool ... Just sent that link to a client, Thanks!
-Stoic Joker (August 03, 2011, 06:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Groovy! Don't you just LOVE IT when you can do something that easy without acting irresponsibly towards your client?

It's so rare you can in our line of business. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version