ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why My Mom Bought an Android, Returned It, and Got an iPhone

<< < (6/11) > >>

daddydave:
A Dell Streak might be an option for android ipod touch type.
-Cloq (August 10, 2011, 10:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.
-daddydave (August 16, 2011, 06:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

The Dell Streak appears to have a phone in it, but at least no hard keyboard reducing the screen size, so I could just ignore the fact that it is phone capable.

Darwin:
Dell Streak is dead... Dell had all stock pulled from vendors' shelves a month or so ago, triggering "happy, happy, joy, joy" rumours about Gingerbread or even Honeycomb being installed, but last week announced that they've cancelled the product altogether...

iPod Touch-esque Android devices include the Archos 5IT, Archos 48IT, Archos 32IT and 43IT (all with resistive screens), the Samsung Galaxy Players (3.2 and 5 inch versions) and the Cowon D3 (I *think* it is the D3). There are others, but these are the ones that I am aware of. The latter two have capacitive screens. The 3.2" Galaxy has a pretty chintzy screen resolution (something like 240X320) while the 5 inch version sounds wonderful.

I have the Archos 43IT and love it... however, there are some major limitations to it: 256MB of RAM, the touch screen is very finicky and there are some bugs in the firmware. No showstoppers (for me), but they are there! I also have the Archos 5IT (identical to the 48IT but includes built in GPS) and it is a wonderful little device. Sadly, firmware development has stalled at Android 1.6... The resistive touchscreen is REALLY good - I use it without a stylus without a problem - and the build quality very good.

Cowon D3 is apparently a real gem, but more expensive (I think) than and iPod Touch and the firmware is or was apparently buggy. Not sure if that's been sorted out or not.

ajp:
I mainly use my phone to make phone calls ... because, it's a phone.
-Stoic Joker (August 02, 2011, 02:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

My $0.02: if it's a phone, then it IS a phone, but if it's a "smartphone" I think it's not exactly a phone. Having used PDAs (Palms) for long before cellphones were a must for most, I firmly believe that the smartphone is the come of age of the PDA, and one crucial reason for its success is the inclusion of a phone in it. So no, PDAs are NOT dead, and a smartphone is not a phone, it's the ACTUAL personal computer that you carry around to do many things... placing phone calls, for example.

If you read above or ask around, you'll see "I mainly use my phone to read books / read news / listen to music / IM / Twitter...". So no, it's not (only) a phone.

sri:
I did not read the page linked to in the original post.

After using iPhone 4 for almost a year, I have recently bought Samsung Galaxy S2.

It is pretty easy to use. Features wise it rocks, but UI wise of course nothing can beat iOS.

Mandork:
Man, I haven't been on this site in aaaaages.  But I saw this in the newsletter and thought I'd chime in.

I don't have a lot to add, just that my husband bought me an HTC Desire Z as a present for turning in my PhD thesis, and I have to say it's pretty cool.  So far I mostly use it to surf the net (in the house or out in the garden, using the wireless connection), read ebooks, and listen to music, but I like the gadgety-ness of it and being able to install all kinds of crazy apps.

Anyway, this is mostly just to say that I imagine the specific model of phone has a lot to do with the problems people might have, rather than android itself. This particular phone that I have seems to have a decent battery life (I charge it about every other day), doesn't have a noticeable lag, and has all the bells and whistles that I expected it to have, like the ability to watch videos on the web and be annoyed by flash ads on normal websites. But then it's also a UK version that came unlocked, straight from HTC rather than from a phone company, so it doesn't have any branding or apps except HTC's. I don't know how much that impacts things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version