ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why My Mom Bought an Android, Returned It, and Got an iPhone

<< < (4/11) > >>

Renegade:
...Or send the occasional how's your day going text...
-Stoic Joker (August 02, 2011, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

We use Skype for that. Or Facebook. :)

mahesh2k:
I've a touch screen phobia and i'm trying to avoid touch-screen based phones for next few years. (thanks to blackberry and sony erricsson and all those Quturee phones :D ). I guess 2012 will be the year when i'll not be touch-screen virgin.  ;)

4wd:
When it comes down to it, I mostly use my phone for reading books.  A few other things, but when you boil it down, all of that extra stuff to most people is just window dressing.  One, maybe two functions other than the basic.  But we get so caught up in all of that other stuff that we've done just find without before- and that's what they build their business model on.  :huh:
-wraith808 (August 02, 2011, 02:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Same here, I think I've read close to a hundred books on mine over the last 4 months I've been in the UK.  I'm finding I can rip through them quite fast on the small screen, (320x240).

About the only other things I use it for are a couple of games and positioning, (not navigation).

Renegade:
Doesn't anyone use their phone for pron?  :huh:

JavaJones:
The problem with anecdotal arguments like this (aside the mis-quoting of a linked article about return rates on *some* phones being 30-40% - think about how that could even be possible for all Android phones for a moment), is that there are always many counter anecdotes. In fact I have a friend with an iPhone 3GS who has been pretty frustrated with it for a long time now and is about to sell it and get an Android phone. He is *not* terribly technology savvy, in fact he sounds less savvy than this guy's mom (she uses Tumblr, has more devices than my friend). He's seen my phone (Samsung Epic 4G) and has looked at a lot of others in local stores and can't wait to switch. He's taking his time to get the best device he can, which only makes sense, and I'll agree that's an issue with the Android landscape right now - there *are* some legitimately crappy devices. But this is not the first anyone has heard of frustrating cell phone experiences, often due largely to carrier limitations, bundled apps, etc. Even on old "feature phones" I saw this quite a lot. Some phones would just have a terrible reputation, yet users would struggle with them for years sometimes, maybe in part because they expected less of them, in part because there were fewer options. Android definitely needs to tighten things up but if anything high(er) return rates on *specific* phones like the Charge should help signal to carriers and phone makers alike that these issues won't be tolerated. Hopefully that's the case. Meanwhile the *overall* Android market is strong, outselling iPhone and taking over some 50% of the worldwide smart phone market. Make of that what you will.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version