ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Edit Text Anywhere with Your Favorite Editor [Freeware]

<< < (6/7) > >>

rjbull:
I tend not to use my text editor for most messages that I write with a browser.  Mostly what I write in Firefox are forum posts, responses to blogs, etc.  I don't tend to need macros, etc. for that.  I'm usually content with whatever input mechanism the forum or blog provides, which often includes things I can't do with my favorite text editor, UltraEdit, such as use colors, bold, etc.  -cyberdiva (August 09, 2011, 06:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
Originally, I think (maybe Channing will correct this) TEA was expected to be used for exactly that.  I use Notetab Pro as my editor, and have macros (what it calls the clipbook) to help posting the code into DC.  I grant I can't see the effect as one could in e.g. BBCEdit, but I know it's there.  When I want to put in a URL, for example, it will pop up a little form asking for the URL itself and then the text, which makes it easy.  I'm sure you could do the same with UltraEdit...

So I guess what I'm saying is that for me, the Lazarus add-on provides the one thing I really need: backup in case my message goes poof.-cyberdiva (August 09, 2011, 06:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's very valuable, but TEA does it as well.  As all its temporary files go into a single directory, I periodically archive them up, though that's probably an excess of zeal.

Text Editor Anywhere - Edit Text Anywhere with Your Favorite Editor

cyberdiva:
I wasn't arguing against TEA, I was merely saying that I didn't feel any need for it, since I was content using the input mechanism available in each forum or blog.  The only thing I need is what Lazarus provides: backup in case of loss.  Since that's the case, I'd rather just use a FF add-on, rather than install yet another program. 

rjbull:
I wasn't arguing against TEA, I was merely saying that I didn't feel any need for it, since I was content using the input mechanism available in each forum or blog.-cyberdiva (August 10, 2011, 03:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
I wasn't, so that's the difference  :)

I'd rather just use a FF add-on, rather than install yet another program.  -cyberdiva (August 10, 2011, 03:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
You might like to know that TEA can be portable, which might occasionally be helpful.

cyberdiva:
You might like to know that TEA can be portable, which might occasionally be helpful.
-rjbull (August 10, 2011, 04:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, that's a good point.  Thanks for pointing it out.

rjbull:
What keeps me from using a full fledged editor with spell check and yadda yadda is the word wrap.  If I put in carriage returns it's going to be messed up in the board post.  Better to use something designed for forum posting like BBCEditor. It's suprising how few(or maybe I just haven't sampled enough apps) free editors have spell check and easy to enable/disable word wrap, not to mention forum tags.-MilesAhead (August 09, 2011, 06:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
The underrated Crimson Editor has both spell check and essy word-wrap, plus a column mode, multiple level backup/redo and lots of other features, though not forum tags.  Most people nowadays will go for something else, but someone in the old Yahoo! Group said that he put a copy of Crimson Editor on every client machine so that he would have an at least competent editor any time he came back to use that machine.

There exist other options for free spell checking - e.g. tinySpell or mouser's own Clipboard Help+Spell.

[Edit 2011-08-11, 21:41] Come to think of it, you could put in forum tags with, say, a template as a Permanent Clip in ArsClip, or by using templates in Konrad Papala's Ka Type In, both of them free.  You won't get to see the results without pressing Preview in DC, but you can at least put the tags in conveniently. [/Edit]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version