ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How to deal with syncing multiple versions of a file from multiple sources?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Shades:
Git (open source, portable DVCS system) is supposed to be the champion of merging changes. Say your original set of files is your home server > you 'check-out' to your USB stick > make changes on the USB files > merge these changes back when at home. Changes that are made at home to these files in the mean time will show up as well when you take a look at the changed file(s) on your USB stick and home server with SmartGit (free for personal use, portable).

That makes it easier to see/decide which changes you want to keep.

Armando has a very informative DVCS thread here on DC, including links to all the software and manuals you will ever need to become very proficient with tools like Git/DVCS. In the same thread alternatives are reviewed as well.

superboyac:
Sweet!  Thanks, Shades.  I'll have to check out Armando's thread, he's always extremely helpful with this sort of thing.

superboyac:
Armando's thread:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=25765.0

Ath:
A real pain will be to merge data from binary files like Office documents and databases. All the usual (D)VCS systems are based on merging text-like documents, such as source files of a programming language, not binary data. Some of them have extensions/plug-ins to read/compare/merge Word or pdf documents, and that's often the best you can get. For comparing/merging databases there's a whole different SW industry, (I've not investigated 'cause I don't need nor want to go there).

I/we usually do the merges we need to do with an IDE like Eclipse and/or Visual Studio and their available plug-ins (for SVN, that's our central VCS of choice), and so far there have not really been merging issues, not even with international development teams working on the same repository.

superboyac:
A real pain will be to merge data from binary files like Office documents and databases. All the usual (D)VCS systems are based on merging text-like documents, such as source files of a programming language, not binary data. Some of them have extensions/plug-ins to read/compare/merge Word or pdf documents, and that's often the best you can get. For comparing/merging databases there's a whole different SW industry, (I've not investigated 'cause I don't need nor want to go there).

I/we usually do the merges we need to do with an IDE like Eclipse and/or Visual Studio and their available plug-ins (for SVN, that's our central VCS of choice), and so far there have not really been merging issues, not even with international development teams working on the same repository.
-Ath (July 30, 2011, 03:32 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, very true.  This is something I'm struggling with.  Here's my problem: i don't really care about merging and subversion control all that much.  It's not that I need everything to merge properly.  I just want to figure out a way to manage this workflow where I do some stuff at home, some stuff at work, some stuff on a usb stick.  I think I can get away with my initial idea which didn't have any kind of subversion control, just some file synchronization tweaks.  If I bring my usb to the homebase, the synchronizer will check to see which file is newer, and put that in the working directory.  Any older files won't be replaced or deleted, just moved to another location (like a subfolder).  That's all i want.  I don't think I need anything more than that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version