ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How to deal with syncing multiple versions of a file from multiple sources?

(1/5) > >>

superboyac:
Problem:
Let's say you have a central server which has your files and documents.  This is at home.  Now, you also have flash drives and other external storage stuff.  While you were away from home, you worked on one of your files, and now you want to update the central server with that file.  But you don't want to replace or delete anything because someone else may have modified the central server file also while you were gone.  So how can the server always hold the latest file, but also safeguard against deletions or accidental updating.

At first, I would just say to compare timestamps and use the latest one.  but there could be the situation where the file in question was modified separately by two different users.  So the timestamp wouldn't necessarily really be sufficient.  Also, I'm not looking to somehow merge the data from two sources back into one file, that's too complicated for my needs.  All I want to do is make sure nothing gets deleted or overwritten. 

So I'm trying to figure out the logic of how to have the current file be the latest version, but also not overwrite or delete anything and have the alternate or backup versions stored somewhere else just in case.  I'm planning on doing this mainly with a program like Super Flexible File Synchronizer, since it has lots of options for monitoring folders, versioning, and moving things around like this.

I'm curious about your thoughts on this.  It's essentially a low-level solution to the multi-user, live collaboration problem.  But since there isn't any live collaboration (multiple people editing a file at once), it's more of a  synchronizing problem.  I'm also trying to avoid services like dropbox and such.  These transfers and connections will be direct: either directly connecting to the folders through the network, or sticking in a usb drive.

superboyac:
Here's a flowchart I have so far.  Please comment on any holes you notice.  One thing I'm debating is whether to have the sync be done live (monitoring folders for changes and immediately syncing), or a once-a-day type of thing.

MilesAhead:
I would search on Version Control System or Document Control System. In software development when you want to edit source code from the depository you have to "check out" the file(s) then check them back into the system when done.  The system handles the version control.  I haven't used a DCS but I assume it's a similar scheme.  The version tree branches when incompatible changes are made.  You can always go back and retrieve an old version from the database.

superboyac:
I would search on Version Control System or Document Control System. In software development when you want to edit source code from the depository you have to "check out" the file(s) then check them back into the system when done.  The system handles the version control.  I haven't used a DCS but I assume it's a similar scheme.  The version tree branches when incompatible changes are made.  You can always go back and retrieve an old version from the database.

-MilesAhead (July 28, 2011, 12:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks man, I knew there must be a common term for this.  now I can search and read about it.

superboyac:
Before I get too far into it, can someone recommend a good software for document control system?  No cloud services, please.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version