ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What special character do you use to have a file sorted at the top?

(1/7) > >>

superboyac:
I've always wondered what the true experts use to sort files/folders to appear at the top of your explorer?  What I've done in the past is stuff like this (for folders usually):
-=TopFolder=-

or

{TopFolder}

But is there something more standard?  I've seen people do it with underscores or a prefix like "00_" and so on.  I'm sure there's no right answer, I'm just curious for alternatives.

skwire:
Depending on what I'm doing, I use an exclamation point (majority of the time) or a tilde.  Some file managers don't sort the tilde to the top but (almost?) all sort the exclamation point to the top.

superboyac:
Nice, thanks!  Never thought about the exclamation.

nosh:
I use Xplorer2 which allows you to sort by comment (the comment column can be hidden once you've set it up), so you don't have to mess with the actual folder/filename. Works with folders but not all file types. And IIRC, won't carry across to FAT32 partitions (for files). Be careful when using special characters since they may interfere with some other program's functionality. For instance ! is a NOT operator in Everything search.

I'd probably use one or more underscores if comments didn't work.

Stoic Joker:
What I've done in the past is stuff like this (for folders usually):
-=TopFolder=--superboyac (July 28, 2011, 10:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

hehe Me too, for my own stuff. But for clients I usually go with a bit more sedate:
=TopFolder

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version