ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

Controlling Windows w/ gamepad like a PS3 or XBOX

<< < (2/3) > >>

skwire:
No, it's not that so much as what you're requesting, within the default Windows interface, is not trivial to program.

bmikey:
I think there are already a lot of research about this idea and on our own computing laboratory, we have a functioning game pad used to control the computer interface.  That is with the help of a plug-in running on the system tray though, but just like how your Mac magic mouse connects to your notebook through bluetooth.  The problem in my opinion would be control though.

CWuestefeld:
A million years or so ago, I worked with a company that developed applications for music composition and performance; one of them was a fairly simple thing called "Midi Mouse" where the act of drawing would serve as input to generate music.

For a tradeshow, we had a demonstration where an actual chair was wired up as a controller, so moving the chair around would cause the mouse to move, and iirc, you could click the button (back in the days of one button) by pushing down on the armrest. I named it the "Midi Moose".

40hz:
A million years or so ago, I worked with a company that developed applications for music composition and performance; one of them was a fairly simple thing called "Midi Mouse" where the act of drawing would serve as input to generate music.
-CWuestefeld (January 26, 2012, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

I remember that. (Wasn't it called Music Mouse though? Or was that a different app entirely? The Midi Mouse program I'm familiar with is more of a 4-channel X/Y joystick emulator that provides 4 mappable midi data streams using your mouse. Music Mouse was more like the Atari based MidiDraw program which took whatever you drew and tried to make music out of it.) Awesome program! I owned a copy. (Probably still have it packed away in a box somewhere too!)

Has it really been a million years? :huh: My, how time flies!  :P

40hz:
Question: why are they trying to do this since you can already control PCs with a smartphone?

I'm rocking TeamViewer on my phone. Last week I used it to ok and install a critical update and remotely reboot a client's server while I was on the road. I pulled over and was done about ten minutes later once I was sure everything came back up correctly.

It was a little clunky. But it worked. And it got easier once I got used to working with a tiny screen.

I'm seeing a lot of this done with other devices too. My GF controls her Roku set-top box with her iPhone whenever she can't remember where she put the perfectly good remote that came with it. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version