ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How necessary is the UAC in Windows 7?

<< < (14/15) > >>

cyberdiva:
In large measure, I agree with what Carol and 40hz have recommended regarding Microsoft Security Essentials and the Windows firewall.  Indeed, that's what I currently have on my Win7 desktop and my Win7 netbook.  But I find myself worrying about the popularity of these programs, especially MSE.  If the overwhelming majority of people use the same anti-virus program, be it MSE or any other, doesn't that make it easier for the bad guys to develop malware specifically designed with that particular AV program in mind?  (Hmmm...perhaps I should change my username from cyberdiva to worrywort  :(  )

Carol Haynes:
Currently the vast majority of users seem to use either Norton or McAfee. There are other suites available but none of them seem to stop the ongoing problems with malware and never really will.

The whole area is plagued with two problems:

1) Just about all security suites are reactive solutions - these are fairly easily breached
2) Any heuristic solutions seems to cause more problems than the threats for the general population.

For a long time now I have strongly recommended to clients that they remove third party firewalls. Why - because the majority of users can't manage them and if they are allowed manage themselves they inevitably break connections (esp. file sharing). 99% of the time users I have seen with a third party firewall simply click Allow when prompted because they don't know the answer to the question being asked (or usually know what is being asked).

As for antivirus solutions virtually none of them seem to stop the most pervasive pests out there - in particular fake security applications (and that seems to apply cross platform - not just windows).

The lesson security conscious and savvy users have learned is that most security issues are caused by the user. No antivirus will stop you doing something stupid (such as manually disabling the antivirus while you install a virus ridden torrent download) or clicking on an infected webpage and then giving permission for malware to be installed.

To get back a little on track this also applies to UAC - for most users it is little more than an irritation - most people don't read the prompts and just click the 'who cares' button - at which point UAC works against the user's interest, not for it.

The only solution is education.

The whole response to security issues used currently strikes me as a similar response used by governments to problems - add a layer of bureaucracy that affects and irritates everyone and makes it more difficult to do anything.

As an aside - I used to work as an outdoor education instructor in the UK. All outdoor centres (and even lone instructors) working with under 18s have been obliged to be licensed in the UK following a tragedy where 4 young people lost their live sea kayaking. The licensing scheme was hugely bureaucratic and very expensive to manage, requiring constant license renewals and physical inspection of licensed centres and activities. The fact that outdoor adventure activities had been incredibly safe for many years, with virtually 0% accident rate, didn't mitigate the government response - an accident occurred therefore ANYONE involved in providing this sort of service was walloped with the overheads required by a stupid scheme now estimated to cost £2.5m per year in the UK. Finally the current government has seem some sense and plans to repeal the legislation and introduce a simple code of conduct.

Seems to me this is similar to the way viruses etc. are dealt with currently and the repeal is long overdue. It is hard to imagine that companies such as Symantec and McAfee will lead the educational charge since they have a vested interest in maintaining the level of fear - and occasional infections are bound to keep that level raised!

Stoic Joker:
:greenclp: Well ya ain't gotta smack me with a fish :trout: I'll drink to that! :drinksmiley: :greenclp:

:D

superboyac:
Very well said, Carol.  I often question how much I can get away without having any security things running constantly.  My computer sure runs faster without them.

40hz:
But I find myself worrying about the popularity of these programs, especially MSE.  If the overwhelming majority of people use the same anti-virus program, be it MSE or any other, doesn't that make it easier for the bad guys to develop malware specifically designed with that particular AV program in mind?  (Hmmm...perhaps I should change my username from cyberdiva to worrywort  :(  )
-cyberdiva (August 04, 2011, 10:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's a legitimate concern. However, it's relatively moot since, in practice, it's far easier and more productive to try to discover and exploit an unknown vulnerability in the underlying OS than it is to try to fox or disable an AV utility. And the malware writers know that.

Today, most systems are fairly secure by default. And with the addition of any decent AV package they're remarkably secure. Add in some common sense - plus a smart user - and they're virtually impregnable.

The weakest ink in the lineup is the user. That's why so many documented "successful exploits" rely so heavily on "social engineering" - which is a fancy way of saying "tricking the user into doing something dumb."

Day Zero exploits are a whole 'nother issue. Fortunately, most of the really dangerous ones are spotted and dealt with long before they fully activate.

Keeping your system fully updated will protect you from "zero" exploits most times unless you're one of the unlucky early victims that sounded the warning cry to the rest of the pack. (Let's face it: we all knew that, sooner or later, the snakes were gonna get lucky and take out at least one meerkat - even if we didn't think it would end up being Flower.) Not much you can do about that except restore from backups if it happens to you. But again, it's a long shot you'll ever end up being in that category if you're doing everything else right security-wise.

Stuff happens. Best just do what you can do to avoid problems. After that, try not to worry about it too much. Sharing a glass of fine Merlot (or a microbrew) with friends who aren't always talking about computers helps too. Highly recommended, :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version