ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How necessary is the UAC in Windows 7?

<< < (12/15) > >>

tomos:
Okay, UAC at top level it is.

This may be a very silly question, but it has to be asked :):
if I dont use a password (admin account) is it all a waste of time anyways?

Stoic Joker:
This may be a very silly question, but it has to be asked :):
if I dont use a password (admin account) is it all a waste of time anyways?
-tomos (August 03, 2011, 02:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. But if you wish to avoid having to type in a password every time it boots, you can use the old control userpasswords2 trick to set it to auto-login with a default account.

Auto-Login to Windows 7

Just don't forget the password or you may get locked out if you lock the console with Win + L.

tomos:

Thanks SJ

I hate passwords :-[

cyberdiva:
Thanks for your response, SJ.  I agree with you that common sense is vital.  I think that over the years it has been and continues to be my most effective weapon.

I haven't found that the security software I currently use "only serve to slow the machine down (typically to a crawl)."  Not at all.  My computer is delightfully fast and responsive.  And WinPatrol Plus is not on my machine "just to monitor System files."  I use it primarily for a variety of other functions; it happens to also offer the option of protecting the Internet HOSTS and key System files.  Again, I haven't noticed that selecting this option negatively affects the performance of my computer.

As for the UAC, which is how this thread started, once I found I could get ActiveWords to work with Dreamweaver without turning off UAC, I put UAC back on its default setting (one notch down from the top).  I'm content to leave it there.  My suggestion to tomos about dropping it down a notch was in response to his strong dislike of the blackened screen.  You've convinced me that that might be more risky than the Microsoft description led me to believe.  Many thanks.

db90h:
Not *useless* at lower level (non-secure session / black screen), but it is certainly also not secure. It is very helpful though to prevent accidental damage from user and application mishaps, which are nearly as dangerous as malware at times ;p. Also, you certainly can't assume malware has all been adapted to auto-respond to the dialog for you. So... a lot less secure.. not useless.

Of course, if you simply run in a Limited User account all the time anyway, then you're best off. That is really what people should be doing, from a security perspective. Windows 7 does pretty well at asking for an administrator to login (via password prompt and then using a 'runas') when required for installs or other operations that require such elevated rights.

I keep my wife running as a Limited user on her systems, she never has a problem. If something needs installed, it prompts for an administrator to login and run-as -- as I said. Works great. Most all Windows applications are designed to run in limited user contexts these days. Of course, 90% of people don't stray far from their simple web browser anyway, making this recommendation doubly warranted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version