ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How necessary is the UAC in Windows 7?

<< < (10/15) > >>

tomos:
EDIT2: Aha! I didn't notice that there were 2 pages to this thread. That explains why I didn't see Carol's post. :-[
-Deozaan (July 23, 2011, 04:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

. . . gotta find another excuse there Deo :p - you were answering my post [ I think :-[ ] which was already on page #2 :D
-tomos (July 24, 2011, 02:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually I was just providing the general info to Cyberdiva, who at the beginning (first page) of the thread didn't seem to understand why UAC would prompt her for admin privileges (or why it would be necessary to use the "Always run as Administrator" option) when she was already using an Administrator account.

But it looks like you also just happened to be wondering the same thing. :Thmbsup:
-Deozaan (July 24, 2011, 05:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

there I go for getting smart :D

tomos:
One of the things that really freaks me out using UAC is that the screen goes black before the dialogue box shows - the void seems to vary in length depending on the "extremity" of what you're trying to do.

If it's just a flash of a black screen it's fine - but when the screen just goes black and looks like it's going to stay that way, my blood (still) runs cold. I mean it's maybe only a second but still.... I could do with as little torture as possible at the moment, especially what with recovering from a sudden-pc-death and trying to adjust to a new OS.

cyberdiva:
You might try taking your UAC settings down a notch (to one up from the bottom).  As I understand it, you get notified just as often as with the setting above it, but your screen doesn't go black at all.

f0dder:
You might try taking your UAC settings down a notch (to one up from the bottom).  As I understand it, you get notified just as often as with the setting above it, but your screen doesn't go black at all.-cyberdiva (August 01, 2011, 08:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Doing that renders UAC pretty much useless. And while the flicker-to-black is a bit annoying, it's a sign that UAC really is kicking in and you aren't being faked :)

cyberdiva:
Doing that renders UAC pretty much useless. And while the flicker-to-black is a bit annoying, it's a sign that UAC really is kicking in and you aren't being faked :)
-f0dder (August 02, 2011, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
F0dder, I think "pretty much useless" is an overstatement.  You get the same notifications that you'd get in the next highest setting, but without the screen going black.  Microsoft explains that because the UAC dialog box isn't on the secure desktop with the setting I suggested, "other programs might be able to interfere with the dialog's visual appearance.  This is a small security risk if you already have a malicious program running on your computer."  The risk is obviously more than with a higher setting, but I don't think I'd say that UAC is rendered "pretty much useless" with the lower setting.

I don't mind the screen going black, but tomos seemed to find it very unpleasant, and it apparently lasted longer on his computer than on mine.  If having the screen go black really bugs someone, they might well wind up turning UAC completely off.  That would render it useless.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version