ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Win 7, XP mode, & other first install queries

<< < (5/12) > >>

tomos:
Otherwise the Windows install partitioning is super easy to use. Hit advanced, set C: as X, and worry about the rest later when you start moving in.
-Stoic Joker (July 18, 2011, 06:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

I took you literally there, just created the C partition and let it off - it's "Expanding windows files" as I write :up:
-tomos (July 21, 2011, 06:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

already gone pear shaped - probably my mistake :-[
I created a partition of 100GB and proceeded with the install (I did look at the unalotted space and wondered whether to create another partition, maybe my downfall)
What happened then was that windows was installed in the unalloted space.
So I now have:

* 100GB partition empty, presumably at the start of the disk

* VERY Large partition with windows in it.....
Well, Im laughing about it, so things could be a lot worse :)

Not sure how to proceed, will probably start from scratch, can windows remove the partitions already made?

Ath:
You should select/highlight the desired partition (100 GB) before clicking on Continue (or what was that button called), and maybe even format it, but I'm not sure about that.

tomos:
You should select/highlight the desired partition (100 GB) before clicking on Continue (or what was that button called), and maybe even format it, but I'm not sure about that.
-Ath (July 21, 2011, 10:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, it was a very easy install but I'll be more careful next time!
I think I'll format the drive completely & start again though, no point in NOT having windows at the start of the drive....

tomos:
More complications:

the computer was built with two drive, one faster one slower.
The slower drive is Disk 0
So I installed Windows on Disk 1, but the System 100MB partition went automatically on Disk 0 (or could I have made a mistake there too, no I dont believe so, I had no choice with that).

Is that a problem?
I guess I could swap the drives within the case if necessary....

in case you're totally confused by the above, left column is Disk 0, right is Disk 1

Disk 0 - slowerDisk1 - fasterSystem 100MBD 100gig / emptyunallocated 2gigC 800gig / Windows!
wot a messy business!

Stoic Joker:
The down side to having done this 100s of times is all the details become second nature so one forgets to mention them.  :-[

Start the machine with only one disk installed, the one you want Windows on. You can use the Windows setup program to delete the now booboo set of partitions and start over cleanly with only the 100GB partition and the 100MB boot partition on the same drive.

If you leave it split up the way it is now it'll bite you in the ass down the road when you start trying to troubleshoot something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version