ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Win 7, XP mode, & other first install queries

<< < (4/12) > >>

cranioscopical:
Thanks Carol.

Stoic Joker:
XPMode is standard XP 32-Bit OS running in VirtualPC-Carol Haynes (July 19, 2011, 08:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

With USB support.

I'm not sure on the graphics, but I'm thinking XPMode also gives better access to the real native graphics hardware.

4wd:
XPMode is standard XP 32-Bit OS running in VirtualPC-Carol Haynes (July 19, 2011, 08:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

With USB support.

I'm not sure on the graphics, but I'm thinking XPMode also gives better access to the real native graphics hardware.
-Stoic Joker (July 19, 2011, 11:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

VirtualBox also gives you USB access, (at least storage, not sure about printers, etc), and DirectX access, (although Serious Sam ran very slowly :) ).

It's also faster than XPMode, (as is every other VM software IIRC).

I think about the only useful situation where XPMode could be considered 'better' than the alternatives is in a business environment where it possibly saves the IT guys some work.

Carol Haynes:
XPMode is definitely aimed at the business market.

Best way to use printers is to share it from the host machine but that does mean changing the way the network is accessed (by default file and printer sharing doesn't work - though you can access the host drives in an alternative manner).

tomos:
Otherwise the Windows install partitioning is super easy to use. Hit advanced, set C: as X, and worry about the rest later when you start moving in.
-Stoic Joker (July 18, 2011, 06:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

I took you literally there, just created the C partition and let it off - it's "Expanding windows files" as I write :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version