ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Win 7, XP mode, & other first install queries

<< < (3/12) > >>

Carol Haynes:
If I understand it correctly, the XP-Mode is basically a free copy of Windows XP installed in Microsoft Virtual PC.

So if you already have an XP license, you might as well install it in your VM software of choice.
-Deozaan (July 18, 2011, 10:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

You do understand correctly.

Having said that I installed XPMode when I set up my system but apart from the initial testing to see how it worked I have never had to use it for any real purpose. Almost everything I need has installed immediately in Windows 7 64-bit without issue. The only software I upgraded was Quickbooks.

tomos:
Cyberdiva, that's funny, you having the same setup and older software! Good to know of your experience, will see how I get on with a straight-forward install first. Can mess around with VM's later if necessary.

Thanks Chris, Deo, for the tips
(sent you a PM Chris re illustrator)

Carol, it sounds like I could be okay on the xp front, and if not, I can go the VM route.

Ta very much all :)

Ath:
The only trouble I had going to Vista x64, and later Win7 x64, was with 16 bit installers, and software that isn't UAC-fähig. In practice, being a developer most of the time, I have UAC turned off just for the convenience of not having to confirm program-starts during my daily work.

cranioscopical:
Having said that I installed XPMode when I set up my system but apart from the initial testing to see how it worked I have never had to use it for any real purpose.
-Carol Haynes (July 19, 2011, 04:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm still clunking along on 32-bit XP and will be until my next machine.
Can XPMode run 16-bit stuff?
I tried something that's important to me on DOSBox under W7 Home Premium and that fell over, so that avenue is closed to me.

Carol Haynes:
XPMode is standard XP 32-Bit OS running in VirtualPC - so there is no reason why anything that will run in XP should have a problem in XPMode (unless it directly accesses hardware or needs a decent graphics card).

I use VMWare a fair amount for testing things in XP etc. and I find it a lot better than VirtualPC - I can even run some games in XP under VMware which I think would be very unlikely in XPMode.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version