ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Am I alone in not using or wanting to use the "Cloud" ...

<< < (3/6) > >>

JavaJones:
I use cloud services where they make sense for my needs. I'm judicious about them and tend to choose locally installed solutions whenever possible, but there are some things that "cloud" (I still hate the term) services enable that are too useful for me to pass up. Things like off-site backup, access-anywhere-email with a good web-based UI, persistent calendar, social networking, etc. There are locally-based options for all of these things, but they're less convenient or ubiquitous, generally speaking.

I think the important point for me is that I use but don't inherently *trust* the "cloud". I backup all my cloud data in various ways (it's surprisingly easy to do in most cases). For cloud backup, it's not my only backup source, just the one I use for off-site redundancy. My local backup is still "primary". Many people in this thread seem to be calling out these services for their lack of accountability, being dangerous to rely on, etc. That's true of most solutions though, even the ones you setup yourself. You're "accountable" to yourself, but it's not going to help you in the case of a massive backup/data failure.

Cloud services are just another piece of the puzzle for me and I think that's the only sensible way to treat them. Don't fear them, don't vilify them, use them sensibly and to your advantage. If you're concerned about privacy in general, or actually do have some genuinely sensitive info, then think twice before putting it up there, and if you do, encrypt it. But don't *not* use something that would be useful for you just because you have to encrypt data to do so. Encrypting your data, if you have real privacy/security concerns, is something you should probably be doing on your local machine anyway, and doing so to take advantage of cloud services is just as legitimate.

The bottom line for me is the utility provided by some of these services can be very high, and I'm comfortable using them knowing I don't solely rely on them and would not be screwed without them. I would be inconvenienced if, say, Gmail went away tomorrow, but I'd still have all my email and could easily move it to my ISP's IMAP service, or most any other system. I think this is a pretty healthy way to relate to any service, not just cloud services: use what works for you, keep your options open, don't compromise your requirements, but don't overlook a useful solution on principle either.

- Oshyan

joiwind:
Great - I don't feel so alone  ;D

(Just got back from my siesta...)

I don't have a FB account, nor Twitter, in fact I don't even own a mobile phone. I have my own domain, so my emails and all are on "my" disk space.
Some very interesting comments here, thanks guys.

40hz:
Some very interesting comments here, thanks guys.
-joiwind (July 16, 2011, 11:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're welcome.!  :Thmbsup:

If you get a chance, give a listen to this Linux Action Show podcast. They discuss running your own cloud with FOSS software starting around the 45 minute mark. It's worth putting up with the blathering to get to the 'meat & potatoes' of the show.

A few episodes later, co-host Bryan decided that the Amahi Home Server would likely do most of what he was trying to accomplish without the headaches and hassles of trying to configure your own. Link here.
 8)

steeladept:
About the only cloud solution I'd mostly trust is one I owned and controlled myself.

Fortunately, all you'd need for your own cloud is: a broadband connection; a reachable IP address; a FOSS all-purpose server like Amahi or Superb Mini Server - and enough hardware to run it on.

For a modest investment in money and time, you can get your own little digital freehold.
 8)
-40hz (July 16, 2011, 10:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have been working this way for quite some time, though I am finding it quite handy to have internet mail services which one can argue is a cloud service.  What I find interesting is the OpenCloud movement.  Citrix just bought Cloud.com which is a platform for creating your own internal clouds.  I want to check it out but don't have the hardware for it yet.  Any of you who do, please don't keep secrets - let us know how it goes/went  :P

Curt:
In general, I don't trust the cloud service concept.
They may backup my media collections, but that's all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version