ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Am I alone in not using or wanting to use the "Cloud" ...

<< < (2/6) > >>

fenixproductions:
Despite the fact of using Facebook I am rather against the Cloud and an idea of sharing *everything*. I simply prefer to keep my valuable data for my eyes only.

worstje:
I want to expand a bit on my previous post...

Backup-wise, I would trust the cloud if I spoke for a company and a proper contract was involved. Whatever the data is, it is financial in nature and depending on their booboo it can be recovered according to the risk assessment a competent IT department/head-honchos would have made.

But not as a consumer. Consumers get shafted. If a consumer even backups, they'll likely only do it to one place. Consumer-level facilities have one single purpose only: that of a cash cow. If you end up shafted, you can try to sue but usually the contracts will get as little attention as the gum under your shoe because you assume it will be okay when setting it up. (Companies on the other hand can't afford that, and pay people to read those contracts properly.) And what do you lose? Personal stuff monetary reimbursement cannot ever replace.

The Cloud sucks for consumers. I just hope people realize that before harddrives are outlawed for anything but a boot drive because it encourages piracy. (Yes, I just made that one up on the spot, but I dare you to deny that it is scarily well possible.)

40hz:
About the only cloud solution I'd mostly trust is one I owned and controlled myself.

Fortunately, all you'd need for your own cloud is: a broadband connection; a reachable IP address; a FOSS all-purpose server like Amahi or Superb Mini Server - and enough hardware to run it on.

For a modest investment in money and time, you can get your own little digital freehold.
 8)

cranioscopical:
I neither trust nor use the cloud. 
If I can't use it for critical stuff, I can't see much point in using it for material of no consequence.
As far as I can tell there's no way to know who's able to access one's data nor to govern who'll be in control of it after the next round of corporate acquisitions.
I can see no workable (for me) remedy to lost or stolen data.

I'm just a little guy, with no need to access material from different locations, and local storage is so cheap. Luckily for me there is no incentive to cloud my judgment.

cranioscopical:
For a modest investment in money and time, you can get your own little digital freehold.
-40hz (July 16, 2011, 10:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Very good point!  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version