ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Annoying experience with non-pirated software

<< < (5/5)

f0dder:
1) Are you using RAID setup - especially software RAID? I had endless file corruption errors on my last RAID system which tuned out to be the Promise drivers at fault.-Carol Haynes (August 01, 2011, 11:17 AM)
--- End quote ---
"Software RAID" would be the purely built-in capability of your OS - while the lower end RAID cards generally don't do much on the hardware end and keep it in the drivers, they do add those drivers...

The above might sound a bit pedantic, but IMHO it's an important distinction - I've never had a problem with Linux or Windows' built-in RAID capability.

fenixproductions:
@Carol Haynes
Thank you very much for your help. As soon as I get into right mood I will definitely try again (although I am against complete Comodo removal).

The truth is I've already tried many, many solutions. I just try to complain after making some effort to not to ;)

I have already played with:
- various drivers versions - sound, graphics & others (i.e. MS Redistribuables);
- services and registry tricks - by a hand (with backups);
- software removal - Avira, FFDshow, TortoiseHg (got source control on save games :) ), etc.;

I did not try cracks or other PCs:
- the only other machine I can use is work laptop but it has too many monitoring apps to run it nicely. And HDD on it is relatively small.
- I don't want to get pissed to see it working not on *my* PC.  On the other hand, it would not be comfortable for both parties to ask someone to step over from his computer any time I'd like to play.

OK Enough for being an old geezer ;)

Carol Haynes:
1) Are you using RAID setup - especially software RAID? I had endless file corruption errors on my last RAID system which tuned out to be the Promise drivers at fault.-Carol Haynes (August 01, 2011, 11:17 AM)
--- End quote ---
"Software RAID" would be the purely built-in capability of your OS - while the lower end RAID cards generally don't do much on the hardware end and keep it in the drivers, they do add those drivers...

The above might sound a bit pedantic, but IMHO it's an important distinction - I've never had a problem with Linux or Windows' built-in RAID capability.
-f0dder (August 01, 2011, 12:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's why I said with was the Promise drivers - it was low end 'onboard' hardware RAID that caused me issues on an MSI mobo.

tslim:
Hi fenixproductions,

According to what you have described, it resembling my recent problem with one of my Steam game. All other Steam games (and non-Steam games) work except for one. Steam integrity check shows failure and re-download the corrupted file does not solve the problem... guess what it was caused by HDD failure. My HDD has just started to develop few bad sectors and one of my Steam game's data file happen to sit on the bad spot.

May be you should check your HDD first (HDTune is a good utility to do that).

Carol Haynes:
or even CHKDSK C: /R

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version