ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

BrowserID - Mozilla's solution to the password problem

<< < (2/6) > >>

cyberdiva:
As I understand, you can use as many browsers and devices as you like, as long as they're linked to any e-mail address you use with any given Internet service, and has been previously authorized by you. BrowserID is just a proof of concept, the functionality outlined by the proposal would be integrated into Firefox and other browsers, so the application is the one handling the e-mail addresses, not an external web service.
-Lashiec (July 15, 2011, 07:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, what happens if I'm at a friend's house and want to use her computer, or I'm at an Internet cafe?  And what happens when I move from, say, Firefox 5 to Firefox 6?  Will I have to re-establish all the browsers each time there's a new version in the same way that I've had to upgrade many of my extensions? 

There's simply nothing about BrowserID that appeals to me, and a lot that does not. 

Lashiec:
Well, what happens if I'm at a friend's house and want to use her computer, or I'm at an Internet cafe?
-cyberdiva (July 15, 2011, 10:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep, that's another problem without a clear solution. I guess you could grant a temporary authorization to your friend's browser, but it's a bit cumbersome anyway.

And what happens when I move from, say, Firefox 5 to Firefox 6?  Will I have to re-establish all the browsers each time there's a new version in the same way that I've had to upgrade many of my extensions? 

--- End quote ---

Nothing. The same way Firefox preserves your history, bookmarks or saved passwords, it will also preserve the file that deems the browser as authorized. On a clean installation, you can move that file to the new profile.

wraith808:
What is the advantage of BrowserID over OpenID?

Ath:
What it this better then, say, a hotmail account, or OpenID? and adding an extra annoyance of having to verify the current browser as being allowed to access the service credentials.

Sounds like a solution looking for a problem :o

Lashiec:
What is the advantage of BrowserID over OpenID?
-wraith808 (July 16, 2011, 07:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

OpenID has been criticized in the past for its failure in solving certain security as well as privacy problems. For example, your OpenID provider tracks your activity every time you use its identity to log in any site. Supposedly, BrowserID solves this, but this is a new standard that has not been subjected to a thorough analysis, so the advantages may be a moot point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version