ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

InfoQube & TreeSheets: Information managers of the future

<< < (4/8) > >>

40hz:
AFAIK AskSam is pretty much 'it' in the freeform text oriented database arena.

There were a few half-hearted FOSS project proposals. But none of them I knew about ever went anywhere. I don't think they even got much past the announcement and preliminary roadmap phase. Obviously it's harder than it looks to code something like that.

Maybe somebody will eventually crack the problem and we'll get something like The Librarian in Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash novel.

That's an app I'd queue up to buy no matter what the price tag! ;D

cyberdiva:
@CyberDiva - I've noticed you often speak highly of Surfulator. Ever consider posting a review of Surfulator on DC? You're a longtime user so you'd be uniquely qualified to do it.
 :)
-40hz (August 19, 2011, 09:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

40hz, I wish I could, but I'm up to my eyeballs in work and personal commitments.  :(

JavaJones:
Ahhh, AskSam! My dad used that for years, kept tons of info in it. I never really tested it myself, but it always intrigued me because of his singular devotion to it. Is it still being developed/support?

- Oshyan

cyberdiva:
Oshyan, I thought askSam was either dead or dying, but I've recently learned that they're working on a new version.  That amazed me, given how unresponsive they have been for well over a year to questions, requests, bug reports, etc., about the current version (version 7).  I think they changed ownership fairly recently, which may have injected some new life.  I dunno.  I'm pretty bummed out with the program and the lack of support, but I do still use the databases I made. 

40hz:
@CyberDiva - I've noticed you often speak highly of Surfulator. Ever consider posting a review of Surfulator on DC? You're a longtime user so you'd be uniquely qualified to do it.
 :)
-40hz (August 19, 2011, 09:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

40hz, I wish I could, but I'm up to my eyeballs in work and personal commitments.  :(
-cyberdiva (August 19, 2011, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Understand. I'm much in the same position myself so I can sympathize.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version