ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

InfoQube & TreeSheets: Information managers of the future

<< < (2/8) > >>

superboyac:
Pigeonhole is nice.  But unlike the other two I mentioned, I don't really see it as having a lot of future potential.  It's a good, simple application for holding some notes.  With IQ and TS, they have this ability to really grow with the application, and they are flexible enough to transform according to your personal mindset.  I really hope the developers continue to fine tune and work on these applications.
-superboyac (July 14, 2011, 04:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was thinking Pigeonhole would be ideal for a quick reference manual. I'm imagining setting it up for all the major commands in a given piece of software. Might be fun to do it for bash for example.
 :)
-40hz (July 14, 2011, 05:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes!  It would be great for something like that.  But also consider this, with treesheets you can setup a very similar situation rather easily.  The only thing you might miss is the popup window.  But you gain the ability to have a couple of extra hierarchical levels, and a more flexible layout.  What's common in both is the grid structure, but in Pigeonhole, you are limited to the default setup.  In treesheets, you can tweak the grid to your heart's content.

You know what feature would dramatically improve treesheets?  If you could merge/split cells on an independant basis (i.e. not affecting adjacent cells in the row or column).  That would be quite a powerful addition.

rgdot:
@40hz You're welcome 

There aren't that many that are in very active development, part of the market has been taken away by online, sync with smart phone type services.

phitsc:
@40hz You're welcome 

There aren't that many that are in very active development, part of the market has been taken away by online, sync with smart phone type services.
-rgdot (July 15, 2011, 08:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

And with good reason I think. The storage of personally-relevant information looks like a prime candidate for such a service. Something which you want to have always available, no matter where you are, and fast, without first having to go to a PC, boot it, start and application, etc.

urlwolf:
@40hz You're welcome  

--- End quote ---
I don't know if this is a good thing. Right now we have PC tools that are very poor because most of the effort is on the phone version. The limits of the phone version are extrapolated to the pc. Even worse, they make a web-based version and wrap it for PC use, losing all the advantages of a desktop native app. Phones are awful to write notes, anyway.

superboyac:
@40hz You're welcome 

--- End quote ---
I don't know if this is a good thing. Right now we have PC tools that are very poor because most of the effort is on the phone version. The limits of the phone version are extrapolated to the pc. Even worse, they make a web-based version and wrap it for PC use, losing all the advantages of a desktop native app. Phones are awful to write notes, anyway.
-urlwolf (August 18, 2011, 03:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
I know, I feel the same way.  PC apps have suffered in recent years because the developers can't make a profit on these little sharewares.  People have gotten so used to quality freeware that they just can't afford it anymore.  All the real money is being made on the mobile apps, which are nice and everything, but no where near as utilitarian and productive as those badass windows programs we have grown to love.

I'm noticing some great things coming out of Russia lately.  They have this whole Delphi thing going on there, which I love.  Actually, Europe seems to offer a better environment for people wanting to still make pc shareware.  I don't know why, but that's what I've noticed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version