ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2012

NANY 2012 Release: Got Space?

<< < (11/25) > >>

kyrathaba:
To be honest, I've switched out some removable media since posting that screenshot, and am not sure what media was associated with F:  I'll do another SS momentarily and list the actual drives.

kyrathaba:
Interesting: my dad gave me an 8Gb thumb-drive that he'd said was "buggy".  I determined that it had the Conficker worm on it.  MSE quarantined it, and I was in the process of doing a long reformat on it just to be sure it's clean, when I launched your "GotSpace" application.  For the remaining duration of the reformat, GotSpace's listbox was blank (see first SS below).  I'd say this was for at least ten minutes.  Then, immediately upon the format completing, GotSpace's listbox populated nicely (see 2nd SS below).

The third and final SS below shows drive info, so that you can compare what Windows reports to what your application reports.  F, G, H, I, and N are unused drive letters, in that no physical drive is attached.  Although K shows identical information in GotSpace's various listbox columns, there actually is a physical drive associated with drive letter K: -- the formerly "buggy" 8Gb thumb-drive of my dad's.  Thus, it appears that there needs to be some way for GotSpace to differentiate empty-but-actually-attached drives from available-drive-letters-not-currently-being-used.

C: is my desktop PC's hard drive, of course, and D: is the recovery partition on it.  J: is the Western Digital MyBook external drive.  E: is my DVD drive.  K, L, and M are each physically-attached 8Gb thumb drives (K and M are empty, and L has a few files on it).

Hope this data helps!  Great app thus far.  It's in my frequently-used toolbox  :up:

Stoic Joker:
Okay, I'm having a bit of trouble replicating this one. Which may have something to do with the Conficker Factor (I'll come back to this in a minute).

One thing that stands out about your SSs is that the TimeStamp is the same in all of them...So I'm guessing a single launch/execution with auto-update disabled, yes?

I tried adding a few additional checks and launching GS mid-format to see if I could get it to hang. I even stopped a long format operation for the purpose of intentionally borking the partition to get it to trip. The partition was borked, Windows showed it has having no volume attached/associated ... But GS just called it a Zero and moved on. Which is perhaps both good and bad at the same time... *Shrug*

Now...F, G, H, I, and N are unused drive letters, in that no physical drive is attached
--- End quote ---
Which is accomplished by... It's an SD/Flash Card Reader?? I could have zero space drives of type X just report as "Empty" instead of a string of zeros ... But I need to be sure of what I'm dealing with.

So... (Getting back to the "Conficker Factor") Can you reproduce this (App hang) without a secondary (MES - Yes I'm guessing this part) lock on the target drive?

Thank you,

Stoic Joker

kyrathaba:
One thing that stands out about your SSs is that the TimeStamp is the same in all of them...So I'm guessing a single launch/execution with auto-update disabled, yes?
--- End quote ---

Good catch.  Yes, I did have Auto Refresh disabled.

Which is accomplished by... It's an SD/Flash Card Reader?? I could have zero space drives of type X just report as "Empty" instead of a string of zeros ... But I need to be sure of what I'm dealing with.
--- End quote ---

Yep.  Went back and checked (brand new computer, which I've had for 2 days), and those are flash readers that had no media in them.

kyrathaba:
Minor feature request to follow:

I copied the EXE to C:/Program Files (x86)/Stoic Joker/GotSpace/

That's just where I like it.

Trouble is, in that location, Windows 7 won't let me save options/preferences to a GotSpace.ini, because the program tries to create it in a Program Files subdirectory, which Windows 7 won't allow.  And I don't really want to use the registry (I'm one of those let's-leave-the-registry-alone pleople). 

Feature Request: could you add an option for the program to save preferences in C:\User\AppData\Roaming\StoicJoker\GotSpace\  ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version