ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Virtual cd/dvd drive software (2011)

<< < (3/6) > >>

mwb1100:
I think the $30 version of MagicISO is the same one that now is freeware. The program is still updated, occasionally, but one could certainly wish for the shop and the rest of the homepage to also be updated - though free, you can still pay $30 for a license!
-Curt (July 13, 2011, 05:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

My understanding is that MagicDisc is freeware from the makers of MagicISO.

MagicDisc only provides read access (mounting the image to a drive letter);  MagicISO, which is $30, provides also the ability to create and update images.

I have not used the program in a long, long time, so it's certainly possible that this situation is different today.

steeladept:
I always found the Windows Power Toy a great tool, but I guess that is only for XP?  It appears so now that I went and looked.  For Vista onward, many sites seem to promote Virtual CloneDrive.  Personally I have DAEMON Tools Pro (it was a giveawayoftheday offer a while back) in use right now.  Can't say I use it much, but when I need it, it is handy.  The only down side is I don't use any of the tools they offer.  The Power Toy was more than enough for me.  Too bad there isn't a simple tool like it for Vista/7.

MilesAhead:
WinCDEmu is what I use.  Double click an .iso to mount. I can even use my Tray app.  When I "open" the CD tray for that drive, it unmounts it.  Neat. :)

-MilesAhead (July 13, 2011, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Glad to hear.  I'm also happy with it so far (5 minutes using it!).  As long as it doesn't disconnect on bootup, or bug out, I'm fine.  I know Daemon is very reliable and all, but it has one of those installations that are very complicated and makes you wonder why such a little program has such an involved install/uninstall process.
-superboyac (July 13, 2011, 03:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't tried using it in any persistent fashion.  I like that I can double click an image and have it mounted, without it showing a drive when I'm not using it as most do.

mwb1100:
I know Daemon is very reliable and all, but it has one of those installations that are very complicated and makes you wonder why such a little program has such an involved install/uninstall process.
-superboyac (July 13, 2011, 03:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Daemon Tools specializes in being able to emulate copy-protected discs.  So they have all sorts of voodoo going on to deal with copy protect schemes. Daemon Tools also implements its own copy protection/hardware activation scheme (which some people find ... ironic) that has been known to be touchy.  At least it was - it's been a long while since I followed Daemon Tools' progress so it's possible that's all in the past.

I used to use Daemon Tools, but I don't play PC games much at all, so I have no need for the copy protection support.  I've moved to the free Virtual CloneDrive which works great for the unprotected, plain old ISO images I do use.  I'd suggest that you consider Daemon Tools only if you want to be able to mount images for copy protected discs.

ilovekonoka:
I use Alcohol 52% Free Edition . It lets you create disc images beside mounting them. It can also emulate copy-protected discs like Daemon Tools.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version