topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 2:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A hint to those moving FARR with settings from XP to Vista/Win7  (Read 4125 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Joto asked me today in the chat channel about moving his installed FARR directory from an XP machine to a Windows 7 machine, so that he wouldn't lose any settings.
Joto just copied the Program Files\Find and Run Robot\ directory from his XP machine to his Windows 7 machine.
And all worked fine *except* that his custom aliases were gone.

The reason is that on Windows 7, by default FARR is required to store user data (including the MyAliases subdirectory) in the My Documents folder (wheras on Windows XP it's in the program files directory.

So, IF you want to move your FARR with all your settings from XP to Vista/Win7, just make sure to move your MyCustom subfolder to MyDocuments\DonationCoder\Find and Run Robot\AliasGroups.

ps. I believe your settings file will automatically be copied over to MyDocuments folder on first use so you don't have to manually move that.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A hint to those moving FARR with settings from XP to Vista/Win7
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 10:59 AM »
This is something I've seen with CHS as well... does this mean that Win7 does not allow completely portable applications (I doubt this based on what I've seen) or is it just that FARR and CHS use the Windows document folders?  (Not pointing fingers or making suggestions, this is purely informational!)

I have yet to figure out the Win7 scheme!  (Granted I havent spent time researching it either! ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 11:09 AM »
does this mean that Win7 does not allow completely portable applications

no.  in fact you can use all of my apps portably by editing the configdir.ini file and uncommenting the portable=true line.
then you can run farr or chs with all files in one directory.

HOWEVER -- this directory must be one you have full permission to write in -- and thus cannot be your normal Program Files directory.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 11:28 AM »
Oh, I see.  So IF the program is in the Program Files directory, you have to use the Win7 document folders.  That makes some sense.  I typically install portable apps into a portable program folder on another partition so that's why I havent run into this before.

Just for my own clarification.  If I just unzip FARR and CHS into a folder they do not have the portable switch turned on?  (Sorry, at work and cant test.)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 02:54 PM »
If I just unzip FARR and CHS into a folder they do not have the portable switch turned on?

correct -- you have to manually edit the configdir.ini file to make them work 100% portable.