ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

[HELP!!] Win XP reboots sometimes *after* startup [Any Ideas?]

<< < (7/11) > >>

Stoic Joker:
^ yeah, memtest did three full passes without errors...

Or just for fun disable all the onboard USB stuff and see what happens...it is the last thing it was loading before it go poof.
-Stoic Joker (July 14, 2011, 03:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

:D
how do I  disable USB? Physically - unplug cables?-tomos (July 14, 2011, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was thinking more along the lines of a BIOS option to disable them, or at least cut them back to a lower speed and making sure nothing is plugged into them.

That or just try a different flavor of Linux, as some are touchier than others ... and Partition Magic is owned by Symantec these days...

tomos:
Addendum: did a little research. Under Linux, this error is most commonly caused by bad cache on the CPU according to one source. See here.
-40hz (July 14, 2011, 06:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

from that link:
The Machine Check Exception looks like this:

CPU 3: Machine Check Exception 0000000000000005
Bank 0: b200004010000400
Bank 5: b200121020000400

On Windows systems a MCE (Machine Check Exception) could also mean bad RAM, Motherboard or Processor. Reseating the processor is also another good option if you experience this error message.So, "reseating" the processor is another option.
RAM I'm pretty sure is okay, I'll try disabling USB as Stoic Joker suggests and then look at this.
I think it's no harm btw having a "sensitive" version of linux - as obviously windows is sensitive to the same problem.
OTOH the UBCD booted up okay - that has some CPU stress test programmes, if I can figure the damn thing out, but one thing at a time ;-)

tomos:
how do I  disable USB? Physically - unplug cables?-tomos (July 14, 2011, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was thinking more along the lines of a BIOS option to disable them, or at least cut them back to a lower speed and making sure nothing is plugged into them.-Stoic Joker (July 14, 2011, 06:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Doh!
you can tell I dont have much experience at this kind of thing!
Tried that, disabled USB controller - got exactly the same screen as above.

So I guess the next step is to use UBCD to stress test some stuff :D

tomos:
UBCD:

* Unfortunately, I'm unable to complete CPU tests - computer sounds okay but screen goes blank after a while.

* I'm was unable to get the hardware tests to work at all. Press [Y] to proceed - nothing happens...

* There were two apps that gave info about my CPU. The second said I had a virus in memory I think. I was photographing everything and guess what, the SD card no longer works (two weeks old, what's going on here :huh:).
So I tried a anti-virus boot disk from c't magazine here - it's ubuntu based. Downloads latest av info from 4 different AV's.
Tested the partition that kept getting checked on reboot - clean
Tested C: crashed twice

I get the impression that nothing works for long on this machine which kind of makes it difficult to test any damn thing...

Ath:
Did anything else happen to that machine? A 'lightning skrike' like nudone had about 2 weeks ago, a power brown-out, or something similar?

It's just getting from bad to worst.
I had that with a PC that wasn't moved for about 5 years, and after moving it for half a meter ( ! ) it just about fell apart, rebooted spontaneously, or Windows hung without any warning. The ASrock MB inside I had to declare dead, nothing good could be had from it, and I simply replaced the entire machine to avoid endless trouble and support (the owner lives ~1/2h drive away, and I could only go there in the evening because of work obligations).
Maybe this is the point where you should drop this baby/culprit too? :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version