ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

SOLVED: Dropbox "Desktop"

(1/3) > >>

Hyphen:
I use Dropbox for a lot of things, including well over 200 portable applications. Almost everything running on my hard drive right now is thinstalled and not touching my Windows registry or drivers and services, which I love. Here is my dilemma though: Of these 200+ portable applications I have, I use 15-20 of them very frequently and it's a pain to clutter the desktop with my all-purpose Dropbox applications. At one point, I had the bright idea to make a "Shortcuts" folder in my Dropbox, but adding shortcuts will not work when synced universally, because paths to shortcuts are "hard" defined and I can't assume that every single Windows computer I sync them to will have that same username/folder structure.

What I had in mind was a "Dropbox Desktop" application that would basically be one program that you could launch, that would basically be a pop-out menu or holder for shortcuts. As it is to be used specifically for Dropbox and Dropbox's synced folders cannot be changed or take their own shape, computer-to-computer. So in this way, "shortcuts" can work and sync universally proplerly, by just assuming the path is "%DROPBOX_FOLDER%\whatever_the_folder_is_thereafter". Does anyone think something like this is possible?

cthorpe:
Not a solution, as I have no clue how to write the program behind it, but all the folders you need are at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders in the registry.  Find a way to read the keys to a script or program, and you are on your way to what you need.

C

doctorfrog:
Would a portable launcher that uses relative directories work for you? I use PStart: pegtop.net/pstart It launches directories, programs, files...

Hyphen:
Would a portable launcher that uses relative directories work for you? I use PStart: pegtop.net/pstart It launches directories, programs, files...
-doctorfrog (July 11, 2011, 02:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
Something with relative paths would work but I only see the U3 and installable versions of PStart on their website, is there any standard portable version I can throw in Dropbox?

Hyphen:
http://www.cylog.org/utilities/toolbox.jsp is doing the trick!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version