ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

64 Bit OS - When to Switch ?

<< < (9/10) > >>

f0dder:
What is the best bit os 64bit or 32bit for 2gb of ram?
-Alexcosta (July 28, 2011, 05:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
as is? 32bit as long as you are not going to upgrade it over 4GB though...
-justice (July 28, 2011, 06:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
Why? I ran 64-bit Windows with 2gb of ram and enjoyed it :)

Carol Haynes:
I am not sure but I think as 32 bit Windows uses a 32-bit word size it is more efficient in smaller memory situations. There isn't a lot to be gained by using 64-bit Windows below 2-3Gb of memory and some reports are that it is faster.

Having said that if you plan to add memory lose the headache and go for 64 bit from the outset as it will save having to do a clean install!

f0dder:
I am not sure but I think as 32 bit Windows uses a 32-bit word size it is more efficient in smaller memory situations. There isn't a lot to be gained by using 64-bit Windows below 2-3Gb of memory and some reports are that it is faster.-Carol Haynes (July 31, 2011, 09:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yep, the word (and pointer) size is 64bit instead of 32bit, but that doesn't mean everything ends up taking 2x the space... you do pay a bit of overhead, though. OTOH, you get some kernel-mode safety improvements that helps against malware, and some software can gain a fair speed boost in 64bit versions.

40hz:
What is the best bit os 64bit or 32bit for 2gb of ram?
-Alexcosta (July 28, 2011, 05:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
as is? 32bit as long as you are not going to upgrade it over 4GB though...
-justice (July 28, 2011, 06:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
Why? I ran 64-bit Windows with 2gb of ram and enjoyed it :)
-f0dder (July 31, 2011, 09:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1

I'm posting right now via a 64-bit Linux Mint distro running on a laptop with only 1Gb of RAM. It's very responsive and light on it's feet. Only hesitates once in a great while when I have too many web connected apps (ex: wget download + irc chat + two Web2.0 business apps + FF5) all running simultaneously.

Same goes for Win7 which I have running on an old Athlon box with 1.5Gb. It runs just fine for me. Works better than running the 32-bit version of Win7 on this same machine.

Systems come and systems go. But now is the time to go for 64-bit of at all possible. :Thmbsup:

edrez:
I would have to say that if you have hardware that can keep up with a 64 bit OS, then you should take the jump immediately.  There is no reason to stay with 32 if you could get better allocation with 64, that is of course talking about a lot of memory in need for a better allocation scheme. It would not matter that much if you only have 2gb of memory.  Though an earlier statement, would be misleading if taken differently, as a 64 bit can also work with 32bit drivers as they are in compatibility mode.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version