ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

EKOPath 4 Compiler suite is now Open Source

<< < (2/3) > >>

Eóin:
It is still one of the key languages of high performance number crunching software. I believe compilers for it can produce superior code than for similar C++ programs because lax rules in C/C++ regarding pointers limit the compilers scope for optimization.

Many libraries such as Blas, Linpack and Intel's Math Kernel Library are written in Fortran.

iphigenie:
If I had to do some computational physics or something else that has a lot of dimensions/matrices/factors and I would be hard pressed to think what to use if not Fortran... and why not? No need for closures, aspects, objects etc. for maths modelling...

They *did* get rid of the stupid spaces at the beginning of lines somewhere in the mid 90s... right?

Edvard:
Dunno.
I kinda figured Fortran was still useful, but yeah it makes sense it does better for high-end number crunching.
After all, Fortran = formula translating.

Apparently Fortran 2003 includes support for Object-Oriented programming and interoperability with C.
If I weren't already getting ankle-deep in learning C++, I'd give it a go just because.

Either way, I still can't get this darn thing to compile anything.
I'm probably doing a whole lot wrong, but community support is so new, and the documentation so sparse (or maybe just unfamiliar), there's nothing I can find as to what the problem might be.
Apparently the IRC channel has been hopping lately (as can be expected with a newly-opened piece of juicy software) so maybe I'll hop in there this weekend.

Edvard:
Figgered it out...
Instead of running 'pathcc' to compile, I needed to run 'pathCC', which is the C++ compiler.
Apparently, 'pathcc' is the C compiler. o_O

Silly me...

daddydave:
However, the download page says Windows and Mac Betas will be available "Q1 2011"
-Edvard (July 06, 2011, 11:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

They have corrected the download page to say "Q4 2011" now. Hey, it's (almost) a NANY 2012 project!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version