ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Bourne / Bash Shell Scripting Resources

<< < (4/6) > >>

Edvard:
The "Bash by Example" articles are excellent!
Never seen them before, thanks!
As for part 3, I think it's less about Gentoo than it is an example of how to code an entire application in bash script.
I'll have to pack those into a PDF and make a printout...

BTW - many of the online resources I cited are available as PDF, and so should be printable at home or by any freindly neighborhood printing service.
Lulu.com also has many of them available has hard and soft covers, but they're not exactly cheap.

MilesAhead:
BTW - many of the online resources I cited are available as PDF, and so should be printable at home or by any freindly neighborhood printing service.
Lulu.com also has many of them available has hard and soft covers, but they're not exactly cheap.
--- End quote ---

I still have some binders kicking around. Ironically one has a copy of bind that I downloaded in Postscript format and printed on my HP Deskjet 500.  Used some ink but cheaper than buying the book, even in paperback. :)

ewemoa:
As for part 3, I think it's less about Gentoo than it is an example of how to code an entire application in bash script.
-Edvard (July 09, 2011, 11:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
I suppose so.  I guess one might be helped slightly in understanding the article assuming some prior experience with Gentoo, but perhaps not a whole lot.

-Edvard
--- End quote ---
Thanks for the tip!

ewemoa:
It appears there is a home page for the "bash Cookbook" (by the authors? Not the O'Reilly page):

http://bashcookbook.com/

I noticed a link there to:

Bash Guide for Beginners

From the "Why this guide?" section:

The primary reason for writing this document is that a lot of readers feel the existing HOWTO to be too short and incomplete, while the Bash Scripting guide is too much of a reference work. There is nothing in between these two extremes. I also wrote this guide on the general principal that not enough free basic courses are available, though they should be.

This is a practical guide which, while not always being too serious, tries to give real-life instead of theoretical examples. I partly wrote it because I don't get excited with stripped down and over-simplified examples written by people who know what they are talking about, showing some really cool Bash feature so much out of its context that you cannot ever use it in practical circumstances. You can read that sort of stuff after finishing this book, which contains exercises and examples that will help you survive in the real world.

From my experience as UNIX/Linux user, system administrator and trainer, I know that people can have years of daily interaction with their systems, without having the slightest knowledge of task automation. Thus they often think that UNIX is not userfriendly, and even worse, they get the impression that it is slow and old-fashioned. This problem is another one that can be remedied by this guide.

--- End quote ---

There appears to be a more recent version.

Perhaps also of interest was:

The Comprehensive List of bash Reference Documentation and Examples

which also has a "bash Software Repositories and other Resources" list.

However...As I've been looking into this topic, I find myself more attracted to learning about dash or the Bourne shell.  ;)

Edvard:
Looking around the site, came across:

The Comprehensive List of bash Reference Documentation and Examples

which also has a "bash Software Repositories and other Resources" list.
-ewemoa (July 10, 2011, 02:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
:o
Awesome find!!  :-*
As I've been looking into this topic, I find myself more attracted to learning about dash or the Bourne shell. ;)
--- End quote ---
Well, to each his own, I guess...  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version