ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Bourne / Bash Shell Scripting Resources

<< < (2/6) > >>

40hz:
If you don't want/need to restrict yourself to online and/or free resources, check out this book.

IMHO the single best $29 (via Amazon) you'll ever spend if you want to start working with the shell.

Combine it with a copy of the UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook (4th Edition) (about $43 USD) and you'll have 85-90% of all the technical info you'll ever need to effectively work within the "nix" environment.

:Thmbsup:

ewemoa:
look through the start up scripts in /etc and see how they do what they do.
-MilesAhead (July 06, 2011, 09:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sounds like a potentially useful source of real-world example code.  Thanks for the tip  :Thmbsup:

ewemoa:
If you don't want/need to restrict yourself to online and/or free resources, check out this book.
-40hz (July 06, 2011, 09:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
I see that bits of this book are available for preview via:

http://www.sobell.com/CR2/index.html

It looks like there are sample portions of the admin book as well via:

http://www.admin.com/

May be I'll have the opportunity to browse physical copies at a bookstore before too long.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

40hz:

May be I'll have the opportunity to browse physical copies at a bookstore before too long.

-ewemoa (July 07, 2011, 03:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Very smart move doing that. Whenever possible I always try to eyeball a tech book before I plunk down cash. One thing I've learned - you can't always trust Amazon's reviews. Or go by what your friends think either!  ;D :Thmbsup:

ewemoa:
One thing I've learned - you can't always trust Amazon's reviews.
-40hz (July 07, 2011, 05:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
It's certainly challenging to decode whatever signal might be there sometimes :)

I appreciate their "Look Inside" feature when it's available -- in the current situation, that appears to be "yes" for the admin book and "no" for Sobell's book.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version